Chapter Three

We walked out of the store and got into the police car.

"How do you expect us to find this James Conway?" asked Galloway, he seemed quite confused.

"It's simple, we just need to call up the station and ask for an address, c'mon you should know this stuff."

"Oh right, I forgot about that, well then call 'em up!" Galloway now seemed excited, that was a quick transition.

"Yea sure thing," I got my phone out and dialed the number of the police station.

"Hello, this is the central police station, how may I help?" asked the receptionist.

"Hello, this is Detective Salvador, I'm looking for an address for a James Conway."

"I'm sorry Detective, I'm new here and I don't know much."

"Well, is there someone else there that I can talk to?"

"No, Margaret has gone on her lunch break, I'm the only one here, sorry."

"That's fine, I'll just come in," I was quite annoyed.

"I think that's a better idea, Detective, bye." the receptionist sounded relieved.

"Yea bye."

"So what happened?" asked Galloway.

"There's a newbie at the front desk, I guess we need to go to the station for the address," I replied.

"Well, that's a waste of time but I guess there's not much that we can do, let's go, I'll drive."

"Yea tell me about it but oh well, and thanks," I was glad Galloway finally decided to take some initiative.

"No problem," he said and we drove off.

The drive was quite slow and boring with silence clouding around us. Neither of us could be bothered to say something, silence overpowered us. I exhaled when Galloway parked the car in the car park and got out. We entered the station and the new recieptionist came into view, she seemed quite young.

"Hi, I think you picked up when I called earlier asking for the address," I said.

She looked up, "Ah yes, you're Detective Salvador right?"

"Yea I'm Detective Salvador and this is Detective Galloway."

"Nice to meet you, lovely," replied Galloway.

I elbowed Galloway in the gut. "Show some manners," I whispered to him and turned back to the newbie. "So what's your name?"

"Mine's Joanne," she seemed quite shy.

Mr. Collins passed then and murmured, "I'm not paying you to flirt with new employees gentlemen, get back to work."

"Yea we just wanted to say hi," pointed out Galloway. But by then Collins had already gone.

I turned to Joanne, "Well it was nice to meet you but we really should get back to work."

"Yea same," replied Joanne.

We walked down the corridor until we got to a door with the name 'Files & Records' printed on it. "We should be able to find out the address from here," I said to Galloway.

"Lead the way," replied Galloway.

I turned the door knob and walked in. It was dark and smelled funny. Galloway switched the light on and in front of me were rows and rows of well files and record all set up in alphabetical order of their last names. I went along until I came to the 'C' row, and entered it. Now we had to find James' file. "Begin looking from that side," I said to Galloway pointing to the right side of the row. We began looking, the files were all jammed up together and it was hard to see the little names poking out on the side of them. I went along and it was about five minutes when Galloway shouted, "Found it!" and pulled out a thin file.