Grade Three

"Please?"

"No."

"Please?"

"No."

"Please?"

"Jesse, shut up."

"I'll shut up if you just please look on my back and check for warts."

After school overcast had made it difficult to walk straight without shivering. The wind had penetrated the thin purple sweater wrapped around Shayle's slim frame, making her teeth chatter.

Shayle groaned, wanting nothing more than to be surrounded by the warmth of her own home. Why am I being forced to walk home with the idiot? she thought silently to herself. He could never just be quiet for one second. She was certain that his constant ramble was making the weather worse.

"I'm not checking your hairy back for warts, that's gross," she said.

"I'm telling you, Shay. Maddeline gave me the cheese touch, I swear I'm feeling the cooties taking play on my beautiful skin already! You have to help me."

"No."

"C'mon, please? I'll be your bestest friend ever."

Shayle rolled her eyes. "That makes me not want to help you even more."

Jesse sighed frustrated, glaring at the uncooperative young girl. "Whatever. No one likes a scaredy cat as their friends anyway."

"I'm not a scaredy cat," she snapped. "You are."

"Oh really?"

"Yes, really."

"Well then if you're not one then check for warts on my back." Jesse stopped walking, dropped his backpack and pulled up his shirt, despite the cold.

"Ew, put your shirt back down! No one wants to see that."

"What are you talking about?" he scowled. "Look at this six pack!"

Shayle wanted to laugh, but she held it in - the urge to punch him for being so arrogant overpowered the feeling. "I see six flabs, but no six pack."

He pulled his shirt down to Shayle's fortune. "You're just mad you can't get like me."

"No thanks, I wouldn't want to."

Jesse huffed and reluctantly dropped the topic. "I know stuff."

"Oh you know stuff, what a surprise," Shayle responded indifferently.

Jesse rolled his eyes at her uninterested tone but continued anyway. "I know who you like."

Shayle's step slowed and her face paled but she recovered quickly. "No, you don't."

"Yes. I do. I saw you're princess notebook. It had 'Jeremy Cortez' written all over each page."

Shayle blushed. Her eyes widened and her countenance gave her away quicker than her own had. "No, I don't – what are you – I can't believe – how did – it's not –"

"I – eh – oh – my – you – do – de – da –" Jesse mocked.

"Shut up." Shayle punched his arm hard. "Jesse... please don't tell anybody."

"I won't, I won't. Under one condition."

"What?"

He got in front of her and pulled his shirt up again. "Say my abs are sexy."

Shayle gasped, shielding her eyes. "What?"

"I said 'say my abs are sexy'."

"No! Oh my - what? Jesse, that's gross!"

"Say it," he grinned, pulling her hands away from her face forcing her to look at his flat premature front.

"No! I will not!"

Jesse sighed mockingly. "That's too bad, Shay. I heard Jeremy hates it when he finds out that a girl likes him. He knows they all have cooties. He'll hate you when he finds out tomorrow-"

"Yourabsaresexy!"

Jesse smirked. "What? I didn't hear you."

Shayle groaned and spoke again. "Your. Abs. Are. Sexy."

"You're murmuring, Shay..."

"Ugh, Jesse!"

"Ugh, Shay!"

"Your abs are sexy, okay? Did you get that?"

"Dang, Shay, you must really like me, calling my abs sexy three times in a row."

"You tricked me! You better run, Jesse Nixon. Run!"

"Run, Forest!" Jesse cackled as he took off running leaving nothing but footprints and chuckles with Shayle following close behind.

****