The Boys are Back in Town : Thirty-Four

It was around nine in the evening, the pizza was all gone and so were the remaining Jaffa Cakes, when we all decided to call it a night. Jason and Henry had an early flight to catch and Andre and I had school.

After saying goodbye, Henry carried Biscuit out to the car with Adrian and Andre close behind.

I turned to face Jason, who was smiling with his hands in his pockets.

I walked over to him and gave him a big hug, which he returned. "It was really nice to meet you," I whispered.

"You too, Clairy Cakes," he whispered back. "Don't be a stranger."

"I'll take photos of everything," I assured him. "You won't miss a thing."

"I trust you," he said.

I grinned, and left him and Alek to say their goodbyes.

Henry was kissing every inch of Biscuit's face, and I learned earlier on that he also had three dogs in his family home back in London.

When he finally surrendered Biscuit to Andre, he smiled and gave me a goodbye peck on the check.

"You were absolutely lovely, Clair," he said. "Thanks for having us."

I hugged him again and wished them a safe flight. "It's not much, but please visit us again."

When I glanced back at the house, Jason was giving Alek one of his long hugs. Unlike the other times when he shrugged Jason off, Alek was returning the hug.

I knew only a fraction of what they all felt. It had only been a week for me, but I was strangely attached to them both already.

On the way home, everyone was silent save for Biscuit, who had awoken from his nap with renewed energy and was now barking at passing cars, his tail wagging excitedly and hitting Andre's knee.

***

Adrian pulled up to my house, and Alek got out with me. I said goodnight to them, kissing Biscuit on his cute black nose.

"See you tomorrow, Biscuit," I said. "Bye Musket, Andre."

The front door was unlocked, and my parents were in the kitchen enjoying a bottle of wine.

"Hey guys," Mom said. "Did you eat?"

"Yeah, thanks," Alek said. "We had pizza. I'm just dropping Clair off."

"Thanks, Alek," Dad said.

In the living room, Alek brought out a key from his pocket. "Jason gave this to me."

"Yeah," I said. "It's for that..."

"Okay," Alek agreed. "As long as you know what we're doing."

I shrugged. "It's no math puzzle, I think we'll be fine. We have to get up super early on Friday, though."

"I'll pack muffins," he said.

"Goodie," I grinned. "I'll bring the coffee."

He kissed me goodnight. Short and sweet, since my parents were in the other room. "Okay, so we're all set."

"Yep, all set."