The Boys are Back in Town: Thirteen

On Wednesday morning, I left the house earlier than usual and sped to the Dashwood's house on my bike. When I got there, a glance at Alek's window and the closed curtains told me he was still asleep. I parked my bike in the garage next to Andre's and let myself in using the key Abby gave me years ago.

"Hey Clair," Abby greeted. "I thought I heard you."

"Good morning," I said. She was sitting on the kitchen island, eating a slice of cake for breakfast. Abby had the biggest sweet tooth in the family. "Coffee?"

"Yes, please."

I got to work brewing coffee while she finished her cake, and a couple of minutes later Tom came in from the back door, breathless from a morning run. I tossed him a water bottle and he nodded in thanks.

I poured coffee in large mugs while Abby started frying eggs. "Be right back," I told her, bringing my coffee upstairs with me.

Alek stirred when I opened the door. He was a light sleeper, so when I waved the mug in front of his face he sat up, blinking away the sleep. I handed him his glasses while he rubbed his eyes. "7:30 am wake up call," I said. "You have an early lecture today, remember?"

"Morning," he said, stealing my mug and taking a sip.

"Rough night?"

He nodded towards the book beside him. Midnight's Children. The bookmark had been tossed on his side table, which meant he'd finished it.

"Good one?"

"Interesting," he said. "You'd like it, I think."

"You want an extra thirty minutes?" I asked.

He shook his head and gulped some more coffee. "Still had a good eight hours. Too much shrinks the brain."

"Oh no," I chuckled. "Wouldn't want that."

Alek held on to my coffee mug while I woke Andre and Adrian, who trudged downstairs to join breakfast. Tom had already devoured his eggs and was finishing up a second cup of coffee before he kissed Abby on the cheek and went upstairs to get ready for work.

"Mom," Andre said, dropping a spoonful of sugar in his coffee. "Do we have any cake left?"

***

Andre and I opted to ride our bikes to school, and I was relieved we didn't have to take the car and park out front. Alek had an early online lecture and had to finish a paper before noon and Adrian, besides studying for the SATs, had a part-time job in a coffeehouse at the community college and was working an afternoon shift.

I caught up with Julia inside while Andre went to get his class schedule and locker assignment. She was putting on liquid lipstick in front of the mirror she attached to her locker. When she turned to me I stopped in my tracks. "Whoa. Your lips look like a disco ball."

She laughed and puckered them for me. "It's supposed to be holographic but it looks like a very glittery silver to me. I got it in the mail last Friday. Thoughts?"

"Well, I can't stop staring at them so if that's the effect you're going for then it's working."

She clutched my arm. "Oh my god, it's Andre."

"He came to school with me today," I explained as I waved him over.

"My locker is on the other side of the hall," he sighed. "Hey – whoa. Those are some lips."

"Holographic," I told him.

He grinned. "Nice."

"You remember Julia," I said. Her disco lips were frozen in a smile.

"Sure," Andre said. "Good to see you again."

"Welcome back," she said. Andre's eyes dropped to her lips and she grinned wider.

"Sorry, I don't mean to be rude but I can't seem to stop staring at them."

"Same," I said.

When the bell rang, Andre gave me a quick hug before leaving for his class and Julia and I walked to class together.

I ended the day early because my French teacher wasn't in the best mood. She gave us an exercise and dismissed those who finished early after telling us to expect a quiz at the next meeting. Andre had track practice after class and sent me a message telling me not to wait, so I decided to go home early. I was almost to my bike when I heard someone call my name.

It was Jenna. She and her friend Anna had French with me and finished the exercise before I did.

"Hey," I said, slightly surprised.

"Hi," she said. "So, I saw Andre at lunch."

"Yeah, he's finishing the semester off here."

"And Alek?"

"He's finishing his senior year online," I explained, feeling a little awkward. The last time anyone asked me about the boys was just after they left, and everyone wanted to know how they were doing.

Jenna didn't look surprised, but she did look a little disappointed. "Is he coming to pick you up? I was hoping I could say hello."

"No, sorry. I took my bike to school today."

A short honk came from the lot, and we both looked toward a white Lexus with the windows rolled down. Anna waved at us from the driver's side. "Jenna, let's go!"

Jenna shifted her bag and smiled. "See you around, Clair."

"Bye," I said.

***

My dad left a sticky note on the kitchen counter. Remember when they beheaded Lady Jane Grey? Sounds more appealing than going to tonight's faculty dinner :-( Mom with me, 20 in the vase for pizza.

Just as I was about to call in an order for dinner, the bell rang. It was Alek. He stood in front of the door, holding a small basket of gold-foil wrapped globes. "What is that?" I asked, as he handed them to me.

"A fruit basket," he grinned.

"These are fruits?"

"Chocolate oranges," he took one, tapped it on the wall a few times and unwrapped it. The chocolate ball broke apart in perfect slices.

"Oh, my god, these look good. Gimme," I said, taking the basket from him.

"Have you had dinner?"

I shook my head. "Just about to call for pizza. My parents are out."

"Let's go, then," he said, shaking his car keys. He unhooked my jacket from the coat rack and helped me put it on.

"Where are we going?"

"To dinner."

"You're taking me to dinner?" I smiled.

"And dessert," he said, leading me out the door.