s e v e n .

C A D E N L A U R E N S M I T H

As soon as Zayn handed her the backpack, she pulled it towards her chest protectively. She was stupid, she knew. But she didn't even know this Zayn dude. He could murder her, steal her money (four thousand and eight hundred dollars in total) and run away and nobody would know. She eyed him suspiciously, wondering if he saw the money. He just sipped his diet coke, his eyes focused on the salt and pepper shakers on the table.

Niall returned a few minutes later after Zayn had gone after him because Caden was complaining of hunger, holding a tray with a cheeseburger and set it in front of Caden. Her heart raced as she looked at the cheesy goodness that sat in front of her. "Oh my. That looks delicious."

Zayn glanced at her food and smirked lightly. "Careful. It's probably poisoned."

Caden's head whipped towards Niall, her eyes widening. "Don't even try."

Niall raised his hands into the air, eyes rolling and mocking surrender. "You've got me, it's poisoned. If you want, I'll take it away..."

Caden reached forward and snatched her burger. "No thanks. I'd rather be poisoned than starve to death." She bit into the cheeseburger and closed her eyes. "It's... good."

"Thanks," Niall looked smug as he slid into the seat opposite them in the booth. He gave Zayn a glance which Caden didn't miss, before he opened his clenched fists.

"I know the story," Niall began and Caden gave Zayn a betrayed look. "This is why I have trust issues." Zayn rolled his eyes slowly (an action that he did a lot and an action that Caden found very attractive). "Just listen to him, you'll be glad I told him."

"So," Niall said, almost nervously as if he had practiced this speech. This Niall kid was weird. "I think what you two are doing is very brave and correct, and I'll support you guys. I mean, Zayn is one of my best mates so I'd do anything for him." He gave Zayn a dead serious glance which Zayn returned but Caden could see the hidden amusement in his eyes. "Thanks, bro."

"You guys need a way to get out of the city," Niall spoke solemnly. "And Zayn's car is at service and it'll take too long for you guys to get that, so I'm willing to lend you mine."

"You're letting us borrow your car?" Caden looked at him, a small grin breaking on her face. "Oh my god, that's so sweet of you. But really, what are we going to do with it?"

Zayn gave her a look. "What do you mean? We're running away- well, we're eloping, to be exact." Niall snickered and Caden rolled her eyes at his immaturity. "We'll need a car to get away from those body guard people, plus his car is freaking awesome."

"Zayn," Caden put her cheese burger down, turning to look at him. "Okay, so we'll take a car. We'll get out of the city. And then what do we do?"

"We just keep running," Zayn shrugged, not bothered before he picked his diet coke up again. "Until they finally come through and allow us to get married." He drummed his fingers against the table, still thinking. "And when they agree to our marriage, we'll tell them we broke up or something."

Caden stared at him. "How the hell did you graduate high school at fifteen? You're so stupid for someone so smart!"

Zayn looked offended. "Like you have a better plan than that, kid!"

"I'm not a kid! I'm turning eighteen in like four days!" Caden scowled at him. She hated being called a kid. Niall smirked, watching them. "Besides, you turned 20 only a few weeks ago, bro."

"Shut up, Niall." Those three words made Niall shut up.

"Look," Caden sighed. "We can't just keep running. We need to stop them, not just keep running."