t h i r t e e n .

a/n; zigi is apparently still alive so i see no purpose for this book

-x-

Z A Y N  J  A W A A D  M  A L I K 

Zayn didn't sleep very well that night.

It was nearly three am, yet Zayn tossed and turned as he lay stiffly on the air matress in the living room. Harry had given his room to Caden, because he was quite the gentleman, and the three boys had decided to sleep in the living room. Zayn could hear the steady breathing of the two boys from where they were sleeping across the room, and Zayn let out a soft sigh.

He was going over everything that he had gone through that day. He quit his work, rejected his boss, he ran to the airport, bumped into a spunky blonde with a crazy back story, and well, the rest of his day was too insane for his own mind.

The air mattress creaked awkwardly under his weight as he shifted over to one side.

Zayn glanced over to Harry's bedroom door and couldn't help but raise his eyebrows when he saw light escaping through the crack of the door. Why was she still awake? He couldn't stop himself- he rose from the mattress slowly, and made his way across the hallway and towards Harry's door.

His hand rested on the door knob for a few seconds as he hesitated, before he sucked his breath in and opened the door. He wasn't surprised to see Caden, sitting cross legged on the bed, with her back facing the door and  phone in her hand.

"Can't sleep?"

She startled at his voice, but relaxed when her eyes met his. A sad smile crept over her lips as she tilted her phone so he could see the screen.

"They've reported us missing to the media."

Zayn's heart skipped a beat at her words and he sat down on the bed, taking her phone into his own hands to read the article.

Zayn's eyes narrowed deeper and deeper as he read the article, disgust digging into him.

"It's funny, right?" Caden mumbled, staring at her nails. "They think that I ran away for attention." Her tone was pained, and hearing it caused Zayn's fists to clench. "My own mother thinks I'm just an attention seeker. She-she..." A tear slipped down Caden's cheek which she angrily brushed away. "God, I hate them!"

Zayn didn't move- he sat there, just listening to her.

"They never loved me," Caden's furious sobs quietened down to a whisper as she glared down at her cellphone. "They never, kissed me goodnight, or-or helped me with homework or do anything parents are supposed to do for their kids! They were never there for me, they were always on some business trip or social event..." she laughed harshly, glancing up at Zayn and Zayn noticed a strange sort of gleam in her eyes.