t e n .

C A D E N  L A U R E N  S M I T H

She cradled the cup of coffee between her hands for warmth as the small group huddled together in the busy restaurant that was located minutes away from the hospital.

Zayn and Louis had both ordered simple black coffees, while Caden and Harry went for heavy cream cappuccinos, extra sugar plus foam. So it kinda made sense how Harry and Caden hit off immediately, while Zayn and Louis did. Caden discovered from her chat with Harry that they both shared a deep affliction towards pretty things- flower crowns, fairy lights and the smell of rain.

"So," Louis cleared his throat, interrupting the deep conversation that Harry and Caden were engaged in (they were discussing the history and origin of teacup pigs). "Zayn and Caden. How long have you been dating?"

Zayn glanced at Caden and she realized that he wanted her to answer this question. "Uh, about two years now," she replied, shifting slightly in her seat as Harry began to photograph his coffee to post on Instagram. "Our anniversary is coming up soon."

"Oh, that's nice," Louis smiled. "When?"

"March 25th," answered Zayn lazily, his eyes fixed on Caden to see if she was okay with this answer. She was.

"You know, this is almost like a double date," Harry spoke up, casually, tucking his phone back into his pocket. "Right, Louis?" He looked up at the other boy, a devillish smirk spreading over his face. Louis suddenly looked red in the face as he began to sip his coffee quite vigorously and just answered with a "hm."

Caden and Zayn exchanged glances in realization and Zayn had a small smirk on his face that matched the one on hers.

"Anyways," Louis said, avoiding eye-contact with Harry now. "I was wondering-"

The doors of the coffee-shop opened and Caden turned to see who it was- and her heart stopped. "No," she murmured, reaching over to grip Zayn's hand. "Zayn."

Zayn's eyes widened too, but he covered it. He squeezed Caden's hand understandingly and ducked his head so his face wouldn't be seen. "Stay calm."

She hid her face too, by keeping her head down and realized how confused Louis and Harry seemed to be.

"Guys, what's going on?" Harry whispered, sensing the urgency.

Zayn answered, his voice low. "It's a really long story and we need you both to cooperate. You see the guy by the door with the walkie-talkie? Well, he's one of Caden's father's guards. Uh, Caden and I... We ran away home to get married and were actually on our way to the chapel when we met you guys."

Harry inhaled sharply and Louis' eyes filled with concern.

"Oh," Louis spoke. "Let me guess. And that dude over there was sent to find you guys."

"Exactly," Caden spoke, keeping her head down. Her hair fell around her almost like a curtain. "And coincidentally, he decided to stop at the same coffee-shop that we were at. If he sees us, we're done for. But that's not the only problem. There are like, ten other guards after us, and they're probably outside, waiting for this guy."

The story that Caden and Zayn were sharing with Louis and Harry wasn't completely true, nor was it a lie. It was complicated, and well, believable.

"We'll help," Harry said earnestly. "You two need to get out of here fast without anyone spotting you. We'll cause a distraction."

Zayn and Caden exchanged glances of understanding. This was good, they were helping each other.

"Great," Zayn said. Caden looked up at the guard, who had settled down on the bar stool, slowly enjoying a slice of cheesecake. She sighed. "He's a slow eater, oh my god."