Chapter 11

The Prince made me repeat the exercise over and over again, unsatisfied with something else each time. Too thin, uneven, too small, then too large, and on.

"You have to pull your shield up faster.  In a fight, you will only have a split second to etch the symbol and create the shield," he criticized. For all of the strict criticism, he had not once praised me or admitted I was getting better. I found myself almost snapping at him from the building frustration, holding my tongue by a thin thread of self control. It would not result well for me if I snapped at the Prince and his unemotional demeanor.

I paused, remembering the brief smile he had earlier and thought, He can't be completely unemotional.

I raised my finger again, my arm starting to tire from the number of times I had lifted it, and etched the shield spell once more. I tried to grasp and push mana though my finger as quickly and controlled as possible. The shield appeared faster, just the right thickness and evenness, but I could tell from his eyes that it wasn't fast enough. The Prince stood up and inspected my shield, knocking on certain parts which held firm.

"You must continue to practice your shield spell, only practice will make etching faster and more natural," was all he said. He began to stack up the books, setting aside a smaller stack of three to the side. "I want you to read these," he gestured to the three.

I leaned forward and tilted my head to read the titles on the spines, The Art of Etching and Spellcraft, A History of Battlemages, and An Encyclopedia of Known Demons. The spellcraft and demon books seemed interesting, but I dreaded reading A History of Battlemages. History was the least exciting, most head-bashing subject. The headmaster of the orphanage taught us as much about history as he could, along with reading and writing, but I would always sneak out of history lessons with Zach to go galavanting outside. Avery never enjoyed the outside, preferring to sit inside, listening to the droning on about so-and-so King or Queen.

"Meet me here at the same time tomorrow," was all he said as he started to walk away. I looked up, my mouth open to say something but he was already disappearing between the bookshelves.

"Thank you," I whispered.

*******

"I heard Prince Ayden is tutoring you!" Zach said the moment I entered the lounge area in the dorms. A look crossed his face, a little like disappointment. Camden, who sat next to Zach on one of the ratty couches, elbowed him in the side.

"He's just upset the Prince beat him to it," laughing at the glare Zach shot him. A few other students were spread out around the room, in groups lounging on the couches or sitting together around the tables. I plopped on an armchair next to them.

"Where's Dever and Marc?" I asked, not seeing either anywhere in the room.

"They went to the library to study. You probably didn't even see them, given the size of the it," Camden answered.

"Oh, I almost forgot to ask! Where is the baths?" I haven't had one since I woke up in Prince Ayden's room. And thinking back to it, I blushed remembering how I used his bath and scented soaps so carelessly.

"Uh, well there is only the communal baths for the commoners since the nobles have private baths and all of the commoners are guys," Zach answered, a little uncomfortable.

"Most of the guys have already taken baths by now. We can go with you and stand guard," Camden offered, puffing up his chest at attention, mimicking a soldier. I burst out laughing at his antics.

"Okay, alright. Thank you," I said after catching my breath. The boys got up and headed towards the same stairs I just came up of. I heaved myself off of the seat and started after them. I am going to become so fit climbing up and down these stairs.