Chapter Seven: Hilaira

*sweats profusely because this is the second to last chapter before we're caught up*

NOPENOPENOPE I GOTTA WRITE OKAY

ANYWAY

ENJOY THIS ONE AND I'LL MAKE SURE I HAVE CHAPTER NINE WHEN IT'S TIME :)

Natsu frowned through his scarf. "This place is even emptier than the last time we were here. Wonder what happened."

"It was probably just the epidemic," said Happy patiently. He was sitting on Natsu's shoulder, using the end of the scarf to cover his mouth and nose. The two of them had arrived in the town a few minutes ago, and were wandering the blocks, searching for anyone to point them in the right direction. Very few people were about, and everyone seemed crestfallen. No one looked anyone in the eye. Natsu recognized something about where he was, and realized it was the town square, where they had met Jona. He recalled the way to the hospital and found himself at the door shortly.

"What... happened here?" he breathed.

He wasn't sure what he expected. Less people to be sick? More people to be sick? His jaw dropped as he set foot in the building, and Happy drew in a sharp breath. Whatever they were expecting to find, it wasn't this.

There was no one inside. No doctors, no nurses, and especially no sick.

"Wha... where is everyone?" he murmured.

"Maybe they were moved?" suggested Happy. Yeah, that's probably it...

Someone walked inside through a back door, broom in hand, and began to sweep. She glanced at Natsu for a split second and said, "Go home. There's no point coming to visit anymore."

Natsu blinked. "Wait - Jona?"

The woman's head jerked up, and her eyes widened in recognition. "You're one of the Fairy Tail wizards, right?"

"Aye," said Happy enthusiastically.

Jona took a step forward, then another, and suddenly she was running at him, but her expression wasn't one of relief. It was pure, unadulterated rage. The moment she reached him, Natsu felt a stinging pain on his cheek ("Ow!") and blinked in surprise, reaching up to touch the slap mark with his hand.

"Where did you go?!" she screamed. "We were left here, without our healer or anyone to help! You must have done something, because an hour after you left, everyone started dropping like flies! Every one!"

"Hold on! You mean... they're all..."

"Every one of them!" Jona choked. "They all simultaneously stopped breathing. We did all we could, but without that little girl, nothing worked."

"We didn't mean for that to happen, honest," squeaked Happy.

"Yeah,ah, we left because one of our friends got kidnapped," said Natsu quickly.

"Wait... what?"

"Someone attacked me and Lucy - the other blonde girl - during the night, he took her away. I'm here to find her."

"Oh, no... I heard someone mention something earlier. It sounded like they said, 'They got what they wanted, and the rest are disposable.' Maybe they mean they got your friend..."

"But who is they?" said Happy.

"Whoever they are, they're gonna pay for hurting Lucy," growled Natsu.

Jona paused. "Is she your girlfriend or something?"

"What? N-no! She's just a friend!" He felt his face heating up and mentally cursed himself.