Bronies and Pegasisters

Brony is an Internet slang term that is used to describe a teenage or adult male fan of MLP:FiM. The term “brony” is a portmanteau of “bro” and “pony”, and was coined on 4chan shortly after the pilot episode of the show on the Hub network. Though initially seen as a cult phenomenon outside of the show’s traditional demographic of young girls, the bronies have since grown into a widely recognized fandom subculture and continued to retain their presence and influence on Internet culture and its hub sites.

Pegasisters is an internet slang term that is also used to describe a teenage or adult who is fan of MLP:FIM like bronies but are of the female sex instead.

Brony/Pegasister Talk: The brony subculture has developed its own lexicon, consisting mostly words or phrases that were either taken directly from dialogue in the show or originally coined by the fans, taking to the habit of referring to each other the same way that the ponies do as well, using words like “somepony”, “anypony”, and “everypony”.

Conventions: Since the establishment and mainstream recognition of the fandom, bronies have organized multiple local meet-ups and small conventions centered around the show, beginning with the first BronyCon, held in New York City in June 2011.The inaugural event was attended by 100 people and featured Cabal, the founder of RainbowDash.net, and Jayson Thiessen, the show’s supervising director. The following two BronyCons also resulted in several hundred attendees and a lineup of several notable names within the fandom. The fourth BronyCon took place from June 30 to July 1, 2012, with more than 4,000 attendees, and featuring a number of the show’s production staff and voice actors; headliners included Lauren Faust, John de Lancie and Tara Strong. Using footage and interviews from the event, documentary producer Michael Brockhoff created a documentary about bronies, with de Lancie, Faust, and Strong as executive producers. This documentary was funded with over $320,000 from Kickstarter supporters.