28: Best Friends

A month has passed after the Toffee incident. The wand was still in the hands of the queen. Star was still living with the Diaz's but she would go back to Mewni often, to help search for the missing piece of the wand.

Marco, relieved that she wasn't going back for good, but couldn't help but think of those words that fluttered out of her lips.

It makes me wonder why we're even friends.

It hurt. Star said she didn't mean any of it. But it still bothered him. He knew she was just mad. That she was just kidding. She even admitted she was a jerk but, why was it so painful?

He loved her dearly. It was clear everyone knew that... Well, everyone except her. And even when she gave up the wand for him, he was still questioning himself if she would feel the same.

From the inside of his room, he walked to the door, reaching his hand up to twist the doorknob... But instead he banged his forehead on the wood, letting a tear drop to the cold floor.

"Marco?" the blonde asked from the other side.

This took him by surprise and he immediately wiped away the remaining tears.

"Y-yeah." he responded, opening the door hesitantly.

"How are you feeling?" she asked, looking at him with concern.

He looked away and closed his eyes.

"I don't know." he whispered.

Star looked down and started twiddling her feet.

"Are you still... thinking about our... fight?" she hesitated to ask.

The boy nodded, sending a hand to cover his eyes. The blonde sighed, taking his hands in hers.

"I know I told you this a million times, and I don't know if it can help but still.... I'm sorry."

He raised a hand to caress her cheek.

"I know you didn't mean it, its just... I... It hurts." he admitted, gazing at her sapphire blue orbs.

A tear rolled down her cheek. She couldn't help him anymore. Those words practically scarred him. Her gaze shifted from anywhere but him, searching for an answer on how to make him smile again.

"Marco, we're still friends, right?" she asked, placing her hand over his hand that was caressing her cheek.

"Star, we're best friends" he assured.

The blonde smiled weakly, letting more tears fall down.

Marco pulled her into a tight hug, allowing his tears to fall down as well. They stayed like that for a long time. Both afraid to let go of the other.

Yes, it was hard, it was painful, it was excruciating. But true friends always find a way. And these two will always stay as best friends. Well... for now.

Short and cheesy. Don't forget to vote and comment!

I dedicate this one shot to my best friend, Jemyma! She's not really a fan of this kind of stuff but still, if your reading this bestie, I wanna say THANK YOU for everything. You've been there through thick and thin. Good Luck in Philippine Science High School!

-SM4ever