Visit Two

Percy Jackson was three years old and running around the apartment, laughing.

Sally Jackson was chasing after him, also laughing. It was a familiar ritual. Percy hated bath time. It was ironic, she supposed, for a boy who was son of the Lord of the Sea. Her smile faded only slightly at the thought. As Percy finally stopped and turned to her, his face slowly reddening to  bright and happy. It was enough to make any mother glow with pride. She scooped her son up into her arms and he laughed.

'Mommy, no! Not bath!'

'Sorry Percy, but you have to get clean,' she laughed, carrying her son down the hallway and into the bathroom. Placing him in the bath tub, she turned on the taps. Water started pouring in and Percy wrinkled his nose, making Sally laugh even more. When there was enough water in the tub, she turned the taps off and faced her son, who looked different all of a sudden. Solemn, even. But he was three years old. How could he be solemn?

'Mommy . . . ' he started, but Sally cut him off.

'It's alright, Percy. Just a quick bath. Five minutes and then you can get out.'

Her three year old still looked somewhat bemused, however. Sally sighed and started to wash his hair, but after two minutes of his wriggling around, she stopped.

'Percy, you need to stay still -'

'No!' he said indignantly. 'No, no, no, no -'

Then there was a sudden 'whooshing' noise. Water started to turn in a miniature whirlpool around him. His black hair was messed up and wet, clinging to his forehead. Sally could do nothing but stare in horror as the whirlpool continued to rise. When it reached Percy's neck, it seemed to fail, and fell back into the bath tub, splashing up, over the sides, and into Sally's face. She just blinked.

Percy let out a nervous giggle.

'Bath time's over now, Percy,' said Sally hastily, pulling her son out of the bathtub quickly, wrapping him up in a towel and watching as she let the last few dregs of water down the plug hole.

She was terrified.

Late that night, long after Percy had fallen asleep, there was a knock at the door. It seemed almost instinctive that Sally knew who it was. It had to be . . . .

As she swung the door open, her thoughts were confirmed. She flung her arms around him without even thinking.

'Oh God. I was so scared. He's so young.'

Poseidon hugged her back, and when she finally released him -her cheeks flushing at her thoughtless actions - they were stood inside the apartment, the door shut again. She wiped her eyes hastily and looked him once over. He looked the same as he always did.

'The water,' she started, feeling the need to explain her reckless behaviour. 'He was - everything was normal. And then the water started moving and - and -'

Poseidon hushed her and nodded.

'I know. I saw.'

She didn't ask how he saw. She didn't really even want to know how he saw. All she knew was that she was incredibly relieved he was there.

'He will have to go to Camp Half Blood soon enough.'

'What?' asked Sally, momentarily distracted. 'No!'

Poseidon seemed to consider this denial for a second before sighing.

'Sally, there is no other choice.'

Even her name coming from his mouth made her shiver.

'He is three years old!' she exclaimed. 'He's still a baby! You can't expect me to send -'

'No, not yet,' said Poseidon gravely, 'But one day.'

Sally shook her head.

'No. Not if I can help it.' When he opened his mouth to say something, she simply ploughed on. This was her son. He wasn't taking him away from her just like that. 'I struggle through two jobs a day, you know. Just to keep us with a home.' Her voice trembled slightly. 'And - the only thing I have to look forwards to each day is Percy. I can't carry on alone. You wouldn't know. You can do whatever you please - you don't have to pay rent!'

She stopped herself at this. If this were any other God, chances were, Sally Jackson would he dead by now, after talking - no, shouting at a God with so much disrespect. But Poseidon did not get angry. He wasn't like Zeus, or Hades, or any of the others. He was kind. And he loved her. She swallowed back tears.

She wouldn't break down, for Percy's sake.

'I wish I could help more,' said Poseidon gravely. He sounded sorry. 'If things -'

'I know,' said Sally quickly. 'I'm sorry for reacting like that. But you have to understand that he is literally all I have to work for.'

Poseidon nodded and turned to the door. Sally, again, fought back tears. She was being stupid, honestly . . . . I was crying over something that could never be.

'Things like this are always going to happen,' said Poseidon. 'He is my son. Water will always have different effects on him. And you are doing an excellent job with him. But one day . . . you may have to consider - they could come for -'

'I know,' she interrupted again, her voice stronger. 'I know.'

'Goodbye, Sally,' he said. Sally nodded. Her eyes were stinging again. Poseidon turned for the door and Sally turned away so that she didn't have to witness him leaving. She headed towards her son's bedroom.

As she pushed open the door, she felt that familiar heaving relied of seeing him there - alive, breathing and whole. She knew, deep down, that Poseidon was right. One day she would have to let go of her son. Every mother did, one day. It didn't seem fair that she would get less time with him than she deserved, though.

Reaching down, Sally pushed a strand of black hair from his face. He turned over to face her and she took his hand as he slept.

The next morning, the postman delivered a simple white envelope. Inside it was the enough money for the next three month's rent and two hundred extra dollars.

With shaking hands, Sally turned to see the sender address.

600th Floor
The Empire State Building.