Chapter 3/Saved

Day 3; 5:03 p.m.

We grabbed all that we could and made our way back to the school. We made great time and we didn't even see any sign of a single walker on the way back, but nothing went according to plan once we got to school.

The cafeteria was covered in action. Fire protruded through breaks in walkers and I saw a broom push a few over. They were under attack! I rushed in, bat in hand and swung, killing one walker. First blood. I felt an adrenaline rush course through me. Everyone else was behind me. Fighting off the attackers. Mr. Tyson had a kitchen knife in hand, stabbing a walker in the chest. Luke had a crowbar that was brutally murdering walkers. Autumn's metal pipe was beating them left and right. The brothers each had kitchen knives, as did Sam. George had a frying pan that, from what I was told, hadn't failed him yet.

We fought through them till we got inside between rushes. Everyone was inside and out of breath. There were three walkers inside, though. One over Hailey and Scarlet, one in front of Mr. Baker whose blowtorch wasn't working, and one coming toward me. I swung at the one in front of me. It flew back and lay there, motionless.

"Autumn! Cover Baker!" I shouted as I ran toward Hailey and Scarlet. They each had forks, but they weren't doing much damage to the walker. I swung at his legs. He fell and I came down on his chest. Blood spewed up and he was dead. For good. I looked over and Autumn was piggybacking the walker, chocking it with the pipe. George took his frying pan and smashed the walkers head clean sideways.

It was finished.

We regrouped and made introductions. When that was finished, we took survey of all that we had got from McDonald's. Enough food for a couple weeks, metal pipes for weapons, some kitchen knives for weapons, an assortment of camping gear that Autumn's family had left behind with them, and a radio that Autumn's parents had left as well. Sam and George started setting up tents with the help of Hailey, Scarlet, and Jasmin, Baker and Tyson were storing the food in the freezer, David, Noah, Ben, and A.J. were starting dinner over the fire, and Morgan, Randy, and the brothers were taking care of the few walkers that were still stumbling around outside.

We had survived an attack. An actual attack. My blood was still pumping heavily in my chest when I sat down around the fire to enjoy the warmth and dinner.