Chapter 33/Sheep and Demons: Burning of the Barracks

Month 6 Day 10; 7:04 p.m.

"Alright. Sorry about that. I was just so happy that you did what you were told the first time. You don't know how many people just stand there and do nothing.

"Now, I am willing to over look your, shall we say, rather combative response to my former arrival. That is on one condition. You surrender as a group. All of you have to do is surrender unanimously and I'll over look you firing on us." Graveyard bent down to my level and dragged my head back by my hair. "Well? What do you say?" He threw my head to the ground, making me kiss the concrete.

"I-I-I surrender." Graveyard chuckled. I lifted my head slowly and looked around at everyone around me. Everyone looked at me with sad expressions for surrendering so fast. I didn't really care what they thought. I had to protect them. I had to protect then from this maniac that wanted to kill them. I looked around at them and mouthed 'Please', asking them to just submit.

"Well? I'm waiting what are you going to do?"

"What are you going to do?" Luke questioned him. He turned to him and I wanted to shout for Graveyard to get away from him, but something stopped me.

"I'm going to liberate the world. What are you going to do?" Luke looked around across the ground and Graveyard grabbed his face and squished it, pulling him closer. "Answer my question," he stated in an agitated tone, throwing Luke backwards.

"I was going to help reestablish a school and be a teacher for the kids. I wanted to train them to take care of themselves. I wanted to sort of be an apocalypse gym teacher and help them learn to survive." Graveyard took a step back, surprised at that answer.

"Well that sure is noble of you." He smiled and then Luke fell to the ground and blood poured from an opening in his head. I hadn't even heard a gun shot, but I did hear the aftermath that followed. Some of the girls screamed and Reece pulled Scarlet into his arms, protecting her from the sight of Luke's dead body staring outward with a pale completion and a bullet hole in the middle of his forehead, leaking blood across the concrete. Gracie cried and balled her eyes out.

Graveyard huffed and puffed as if exerting himself. Then screamed into the night. "I don't like to do that but there are rules to this new world. Well...not rules exactly, more of...guidelines. Things that you must learn to survive in this world. We...-" Graveyard had finally taken enough of Gracie's crying and turned toward her with everyone else watching him as he did. He stepped forward and bent down in front of Noah as he held Gracie in his arms and Timmy kneeled behind him. "May I?" Graveyard questioned, offering to take Gracie from Noah.

"Not on your life," Noah shot back. Graveyard stood up and placed a gun at Noah's head.

"What was that?"

"Not on your life," he repeated. Graveyard sighed and pulled the trigger. I heard that shot, but I had hoped that I wouldn't hear it, but I did. The gunshot rang out in my skull and I felt my heart stop. In an instant my thoughts were not of Noah, but of Timmy and Gracie. How horrified they must be. How they would ever be able to get past this. I forced myself to look up and I saw Tony wrestling on the ground with Graveyard and Noah staring blankly behind them.

Immediately I froze. What was I supposed to do? What could I do? The fight began to turn. Tony was taller, but Graveyard was stronger. He pushed Tony off of him and began pummeling him into the ground. He beat him and beat him and beat him viscously, over and over and over again. Finally he pushed away from Tony's struggling form. He kicked him one last time and bent over again, this time with probable cause of exhaustion. I wanted to cry, but a sweet melody arose from within me. No, it wasn't within me. I was hearing it.