Introduction

It been almost two years since that day. I don't really think about it much now, or not as much as I used to, at least. I have other, bigger, more important things to worry about other than that day.

That day in the field where a man seemingly appeared out of nowhere and somehow appealed to my better nature, convincing me to join him. To this day I still don't know why I accepted.

As I review it over and over in my head, other events that have happened in that field come back to me. I remember my first kiss, on the hill with the wind blowing my wisps of hair across my face as I touched the only person I could actually understand, when I couldn't even understand myself.

Things are different now. Ever since being with SHIELD, overdosing on the drug, finding Peter, my mind had become a challenge. A new fight, a new war to battle everyday. I was forced out of my own body and pressured to invade others, feeling everything they were feeling. All I would have to do was look at their eyes. The eyes are the window to the soul, you know. But I would look at their eyes and a million emotions, thoughts, theories, and assumptions would flood my mind. It became almost unbearable.

When I went back to school after that summer, the things I felt were terrifyingly misrepresented. It was so odd, looking at someone with a smile on their face as bright as the sun, but feel this cold, dark empty feeling of sadness and remorse. Of course, I would never mention it or show that I knew. And over time, things got easier.

I learned how to become more focused on what thoughts and emotions belonged to me, rather than the ones that weren't. It was relieving once I finally got a grip on my ability. Now it was easier to read people only when I wanted to, not just when I focused on someone.

But even that isn't enough to keep me from thinking back to the past.

I haven't seen Peter since that day in the field. I returned home and he flew away on the Bus, back to his hometown. I haven't heard from any of them. Not Coulson, not Skye, not even Truman, whom I made made clear to that I was not up for recruit.

But that doesn't mean I haven't been keeping up with them.

Almost a year ago now I remember watching a giant helicarrier fall from the sky and crash into the city of Washington, D.C. on the news channel in my living room. I had dropped my cereal on the floor.

I didn't know if what they were saying was true, but the government was telling us that the country's security department had been compromised, and D.C. was the aftermath. Of course, that wasn't all I found out. After all, all of SHIELD's secrets were dumped on the Internet.

I managed to get a glimpse of a few before they were cleared. Something about a firefight with Captain America, and Black Widow, I think. Supposedly this thing called "Hydra" or that old WW2 Nazi German-thing, or whatever you call it, had infiltrated SHIELD. I remember learning about it in middle school. I didn't finish reading the last file I found, but it began to list Dates of Death along with names and professions. The dates were spread out since 1945 all the way till now. Listed also were the ballistics of the deaths. Most of them said "Soviet Assault Rifle .45 C, gunshot wound". I didn't know how the deaths were related, but, right before the file was cleared, I saw the name "Steven Rogers" at the bottom of the page.

I didn't dwell on it for long; what I knew was probably the best I was going to get. Besides, it didn't concern me. I'm not with SHIELD, and there's nothing I can do about it. Or at least I tried not to dwell on it.

Just recently the incident in Sokovia has people all riled up. The Avengers literally dropped a city out of the sky. I don't know what happened or how that's possible, but people are definitely talking, that's for sure. The government has promised to "take action" and protect our country, whatever that means.

I don't really know where that leaves me. Here I am, almost 18, a regular person in a regular place. Except I analyze a person's words and movement quicker than a lie detector. That too.

No matter, I am happy with where I am now. I'm graduating soon, maybe even going to college. Psychology. That's my recommended major. Figures. I've even enrolled in self-defense classes. Mostly for myself; I hate feeling defenseless. I'm doing pretty good, learning a lot of moves. Becoming stronger, more skilled. It easy for me to predict my opponents moves; their body language is a dead giveaway every time. Same with coming up with counter moves. They are instantly at the front of my mind before they complete the move. Now all I need to work on is that right hook.

I'm still learning, maturing, adapting. I'm not perfect and I'm never in full control of my ability. I'm not a super-genuis, I'm only A/B honors, I can't read minds, and I'm definitely not a superhero.

But my name is Alex Rogers, and for a little while there I thought I could live a somewhat normal, uneventful life.

Ha.