Explanations

"Well that was easier than expected," Daisy said.

I scoffed. "Don't get ahead of yourself. You weren't that convincing."

"Maybe," she replied. "But Lincoln can do a better job of explaining things than I can."

I glanced at him to see him facepalm himself and then point at her. "No, no. I am not explaining that. Not again."

"You know how to break it best! And besides, I've done it with every other recruit," Daisy countered.

Coulson looked around the room. "If you're talking about what I think you're talking about, I think it'd be best if I let all of you handle it." And with that he left the room, all of us watching as he closed the door.

"But it's confusing, especially now with..." Lincoln said, slightly gesturing towards me, but stopping when he saw me staring back at him. "...her here."

"I'm confusing?," I said.

"No..," he said, shaking his head. "Your powers are."

"I don't have powers."

"Exactly!," he said. "Daisy?"

She sighed, walking back from around the desk. "Peter, when did your powers manifest?"

He was shaken from his zoned out stance of staring at the display board. He uncrossed his arms and looked at her. "Uh...I was 16..it was in January, so...maybe 3, 3 and a half years ago?"

"Okay, what do you remember about that day?"

He stared at her for a moment. "It hurt. A lot. For a few days I felt this ache all over, I felt hot, and for some reason the only relief came from being in the sunlight. It stayed that way until..." He paused. "Until I managed to release it for the first time."

"Your powers manifested naturally then," Lincoln said.

We turned to look at him.

"Jiaying said it was rare, but possible. It happens maybe every 1 in 25,000 Inhumans," he added.

"Inhumans aren't just people with powers anymore," Daisy said. "We've learned that were are a different breed of humans, descended from our ancestors who were changed by the Kree."

"Did you say Kree?," I said. My mind flashed back to the night mare.
I am one of the Kree, and you have been made to save your brothers and sisters. Not as one of them, but you will bring them together.

"Yeah..why, do you know it?," Daisy said.

I frowned at the ground, not answering.

"What's a Kree?," Peter asked.

"Well, for lack of better words...aliens. They came to Earth from another world thousands of years ago and created our ancestors, giving them powers to help them fight their war," Daisy answered.

"Aliens...like the aliens that invaded New York?," Peter asked.

"Basically," she said. 

I spoke up. "So if not all Inhuman's powers manifest naturally, how else would they manifest?."

"A substance called Terrigen. It originates in a crystal but was recently released into the ocean water supply, and has been turning Inhumans all around the world as it gets distributed. It's a process called the Changing, one which neither of your encountered. Every cell in your body is simultaneously changed in order to house your power. You're covered in this kind of...crust, and when you break out you're changed," Lincoln replied.

"The fish oil pills," Joey mumbled, chuckling a little bit. However, Elena still remained oddly silent.

"I didn't go through the changing. I'm not technically an Inhuman. So what does that make me?," I asked.

"We're still trying to figure that one out," Daisy replied. "I've had Fitzsimmons on that for a while. They've compared the blood samples from you they took all that time ago to an Inhuman's and they have only found two or three genetic markers that correlate. The rest just...aren't there. It's like your code was developing but then it just...stopped."

I crossed my arms, biting my thumbnail out of habit. "That's inspiring," I mumbled.

"Now that you've mentioned it, I'm curious to know, what exactly are your abilities?," Lincoln asked.

Here I was thinking I couldn't dislike him more. "Daisy didn't tell you?."

He looked at her, and she shrugged. "Told you I wasn't about to explain it."

Lincoln looked back at me, staring curiously. I felt all the eyes in the room looking at me.

I huffed and took a few steps toward him, staring him down and reading every aspect of him.

He was tall, slightly buff, and he stood like he could easily hold his own. But it seemed odd, like he felt out of place here, like he was self conscious about the people around him. A certain kind of fear and wariness was set in his face, one that only comes with a fear of yourself, something inside you...or what you're capable of. I saw that once before, in Peter, when we first met. I was so focused on him, I didn't see the sudden look of surprise cross his face.

"I'm guessing the whole eye thing going on has something to do with it?," he said.

I cocked my head, brushing off his comment. "That kinda just happens."

I continued to read him. I remembered the way he looked at Daisy. The kind of fierce protectiveness he had in his eyes. He was loyal, extremely. He seemed reckless, too. The sort of person to go through with whatever he set his mind to, no matter the consequences. He couldn't be swayed easily. I looked closer. I felt his nervousness arise as I took another step toward him. He would look away, but then back at me, I guess interested in my apparently multicolored eyes at the moment. I looked at his. There was a spark to them, a blue sort of lining. It flickered in and out. That was most likely his power. Light? No, that's Peter. Electricity, then.

I could tell he cared for Daisy, that was obvious. She was fond of him too; I had seen it earlier. Were they dating? Probably. But there seemed too many issues there. They were both determined, both loyal and strong willed, but there was something about Lincoln that was separating them. Something dark, sinister, something from his past. Maybe their past, maybe just his alone.

This man had a dark side to him. But for the moment, he was on my side, and he has the right agendas. After all, he is here with SHIELD.

I stood back and looked at Daisy. "Fitzsimmons are here, right?"

She seemed taken aback by my odd question. "Um, yeah they're in the lab across the hall."

"Good," I said. "It's okay if we go see them right?"

She shrugged. "I guess."

I smiled. "Peter, would you like to come?" I said, walking towards the door.

"Sure," he replied, following me.

I opened the door, letting him out first. I began to walk out myself, but stopped and turned around.

"Oh, maybe I'll show you later Sparky."

And with that I walked out, shutting the door behind me, leaving him speechless.

He looked at Daisy. "How did she know?"

She smiled and shrugged. "Told you."