Visions

It's all so confusing.

These dreams I have, I mean.

They make me hate laying my head down at night because I know soon enough I'm going to jerk awake wondering if what I just saw was a nightmare or a memory.

Most nights, they're not bad. Simple things. What normal people dreams about, I suppose. Sometimes not even at all.

Tonight was not one of those nights.

No, in this dream, in this vision, in this nightmare, I saw some things I can't explain.

First I was falling.
I had slipped from wherever I was and was now plummeting towards the ground. I felt my insides hurl and my hair blow across my face as a chill wind bit at my skin. But as I reached the ground, I didn't fall, but landed standing up.

I heard a voice. Muffled, indecipherable. I looked around where I was. It was dark. I was somewhere, in some building. Suddenly a huge flash of light illuminated a figure in front of me.

I lifted my hand up to cover my face and shield my eyes. I squinted at the figure. It suddenly dimmed and came into focus. Standing in front of me was a familiar but also different face. I'm Peter. He was looking around frantically until his eyes came to rest on me.

His mouth moved, but all I heard was the muffled sound again. I opened my mouth.

"Peter?"

He looked away from me, bracing himself and twisting his hands together in the air in front of him. A ball of light appeared and he shot his hands out in front of him. The ball turned into a stream of pure energy as it left his hands. He turned back to me.

"Go!" I heard him say. It was loud and clear this time. His voice sounded different than I remembered.

I reached my hand out to him, but he disappeared in front of me. He and everything around me vanished, and I was left in nothing but darkness.

I stood and reached my hand to my face, making sure I was still there. I turned around and around but everywhere I looked there was nothing but darkness. Then, another voice.

"Lucy."

I felt my breath hitch. No one has called me that in a long time.

"What do you want?," I replied.

The room lit up. I was standing in a place with four white walls and no doors.

"Help me."

I spun around to look behind me. Standing by the opposite wall was a little girl, maybe 6 years old. She was clutching a tiny, worn brown teddy bear in her arms.

"Who are you?" I asked.

She wiped a tear from her cheek and moved a tiny wisp of black hair from her face.

"Please help me, Lucy."

"That's not my name."

"That's not what he said."

"Who said?"

"The boy. In the other room. He called out for you. He screamed your name. But you never came, Lucy."

"What happened? Who are you?"

"I don't know. They took it from me."

"Who did? What did they take?"

"The octopus. They took my mommy and my daddy. And my name. They won't give it back."

I took a step toward the little girl. "Where are we? I can help."

The girl clutched her teddy bear tighter. "You could have saved him. You could have saved me. But you never came, no matter how loud he called. You never came for any of us."

"Who? What are you talking about?"

I reached out to her, and my fingertips brushed her arm. My breath shot out of me and I fell to my knees, clutching my head.

A million memories, a million moments flashed in my mind. Voices and sounds and emotions ran into a stream that flowed into my ears. And with a sudden, intense, pain, I felt it all being washed away.

I looked up to see the little girl crouching towards me, a slight smile on her face. She leaned towards me and whispered, "Thats what they do when they take your name. You remember it all and then you remember nothing."

I clutched my head and looked back up to see that she wasn't there anymore, and I was in a different place.

I was on top of a mountain. It was snowing all around me, and I struggled to stand on the icy rock. I looked above me to see a grey sky.

But it was cracking. A deep, blue line jutted and appeared in the middle. The crack widened and intense colors of purple and yellow flooded out, bathing me in a cascade of light. The hole to the heavens opened and I could see an endless galaxy beyond it, full of stars and nebulas.

Something suddenly flew out of the portal, shooting down the side of the mountain towards the ground. I looked over to see not a valley but the the city of New York. It was being rampaged by aliens and huge blasts of light were being fired at the gigantic beasts flying between the buildings. A huge roar reached my ears from the city as parts started flying off one of the beasts. I looked back up to the portal. Aliens were flooding through it, a never ending stream to the city below. One of the beings drifted off from the flow, levitating towards me.

It landed a few feet from my position on the mountaintop. It was a blue being, looking almost like a human. It didn't seem icy or cold, just dark and intimidating. He stopped and looked at me, studying my eyes.

"You are not one of the chosen. My people the Kree have made an error," he said, speaking directly to me.

"I don't know what that means."

"You are not of the lineage, but nevertheless, you shall aid us in our quest."

"How could I do that?"

"Midguardians," he scoffed. "The key lies within your sisters and brothers, as far as you may be from them. You will bring them together, Lucy. One not of the kind is always needed."

"I don't -" I began. But I could no longer speak. My feet began to levitate from the ground and I began to rise up towards the portal. The man still watched me as I flew up in the air.

I twisted and turned in the space and I travelled upwards, the rip in the sky coming closer and closer. I stared at the colors and the stars. I reached out to touch them and just as I became close enough,

my eyes shot open.

I sat up straight in my bed, my chest heaving and my palms sweaty. I ran a hand through my hair and threw the covers off, slipping out of the sheets and standing up on the floor.

I took a deep breath and rubbed my face, leaning against the wall and looking out my window.

The sun was peeking out over the trees and breathing life out into the green landscape.

I shut my eyes.

What does it all mean?