Chapter 2 | Claire | Age 16

"I don't wanna go to Nicky's stupid company slumber party." I glare at some random, arbitrary spot on my pink wall, stretching my body across the floor between my spread legs, holding my hands above my head. "Can't we make up some lame excuse to miss it? Like we have food poisoning or something?"

Tiffany, my best friend for the past twelve years, huffs. "We have to go. That excuse only works so many times."

I stare at the ceiling. "What's the point of these anyway? It's not like the entire company goes. It's not fair Sebastian and Ben get a pass." Sebastian Reyes and Ben Dolin, the two guys in our company. Obviously, it'd be inappropriate for them to attend a slumber party, but I'm sitting here trying to come up with some excuse as to why it'd be inappropriate for me to attend. And me wanting to rip Nicky's hair out probably won't work, either.

"Maybe this time it'll be fun," Tiffany says. Momma taught me if I don't have anything nice to say, then to just keep my mouth shut. So that's precisely what I'm doing. "Nicky and Audrina aren't as bad as you think they are."

"Mhmm." I can't hold the sarcasm back even when my mouth is closed and I'm muttering. "Have you forgotten what they did to Cayce at last year's little slumber party?"

She snickers. "Claire. They did Cayce a favor."

"Really?" Can she actually hear herself? "Is that what they call that these days?"

"Just sayin'."

"I can't believe you're defending them." I straighten my body, arch my back, and twist from left to right, then lean over and grab my right ankle. "They're not nice people, Tiff."

"Yeah. I'll see you tomorrow. I gotta go. Mom's calling me."

"Bye."

Speaking of moms. Mine tells me not to overanalyze things. So why do I find myself sitting here wondering why it feels like she didn't really have to go, like she was sticking up for them, like maybe she's their best friend instead of mine?

That's just foolish, though. Because this is Tiffany. My Tiffany. Twelve years of having to pry us away from each other on Christmas Eve so we can spend twenty-four hours apart before we're together again for another three hundred and sixty-four days. So, the very notion she'd entertain being friends with the mean girls whose sole purpose on this earth is to find ways to stab a knife in my heart is absolutely absurd, right?