Chapter 4

It's amazing how easy I got through the school day. That's because it's been impossible to forget Sebastian's words. They've been cycling on repeat since he said them yesterday. The only thing that's alternated with them is the way his green eyes flashed when he looked at me and the way my stomach twisted like I'd just survived a series of corkscrews on my favorite rollercoaster.

Okay. I'd be lying to say that's not followed by my mother's words about just dancing. Those are followed by dancing with Sebastian. Then kissing Sebastian. Followed by very inappropriate images of Sebastian on top of me doing things I don't even know how to do. His hands touching me in places no one ever has before. His lips on mine, and it's so vivid, I can nearly feel their softness. Snap. Out. Of. It. Claire.

Just because he said those things doesn't mean he means them. They were sympathy compliments. He felt bad for you. Besides, there's no way he doesn't have a girlfriend. It's not like you'd know. We don't even go to the same school.

"Claire. What are you looking all dreamy about?" Audrina asks. If it is possible Nicky was born with a fraternal twin sister that's everything she's not physically: tall, beautiful, etc., etc., then that would be Audrina. But personality wise, they're exactly the freaking same. It's like someone cloned their petty little minds. I sigh. Dang her for screwing up my perfect daydream.

"Nothing."

"That's not true. You're most definitely thinking about something. I saw you talking to Sebastian last night."

My eyes quickly avert to hers before scanning her. "So." What's her motive?

"So. What did he say to you?"

I shrug. "Nothing."

Her lips curve into a wicked grin. "His mouth was moving, so I hardly think it was nothing."

"You're right. It was moving, but what he said is none of your business. If you want to know what he said, you can ask him. If he wants you to know, he'll tell you." Because if I tell her he said I'm pretty and a good dancer, she'll laugh in my face, and frankly, I'm not in the mood for that. So, I push my books to the side. My feet make their way to the bathroom, my legs increasing their pace with each step, and my face reddening with each passing moment. Audrina is the ring leader of the mean girls' cult. It's on pretty good authority, she's the reason I no longer have a best friend, and if it's up to her, Sebastian will be next.

Since the studio is an old building, there's only one bathroom, so it's gender neutral. It's around a corner in a little alcove with a wall of lockers, and as I turn to rush through the door, I plow into a steel chest. I inhale a whiff of cedar, water, and apple. "I'm..." My tongue sticks to the roof of my mouth. "I'm..." My palms are on his abs. I know whose they are, so I let them linger a little longer than I should, feeling the ripples beneath his ribbed black tank top. I gaze up, but I get stuck on his crooked grin before I find my way to his hooded green eyes. "I'm sorry. I just need the bathroom."

"Don't be."

I furrow my brows and swallow.

"Sorry," he says. "Don't be sorry."

I let out the breath I've been holding, and the springs inside me coil.

He tilts his head and leans in. "Claire."

"Huh?"

"I'm gonna kiss you."

"Uh huh."

"Right now."

"Okay."

His lips dip down and brush with mine. My feet arch and in an instant I'm on my toes, and I've never loved this position, this dance more, in my life. He pushes his tongue past my lips and it moves gracefully as it explores my mouth, while I suck on it and moan. His hands grasp my hair and he pushes me against the lockers. "Shh," I whisper, thinking about Audrina. "Someone's gonna hear us."