THERE

The boy waited for hours. He had been sent the address of the hospital the girl that he knew was admitted there. He was surprised to find out it was local, and that they had been so close, yet so far.

He just sits there in his leather jacket and worn out jeans in a chaotic mess as he plays over various scenarios in his head of how she will react to him, and how he will react to her. His hair was a mess, just like his mind, remembering how he just got out of bed, threw on some clothes and left for the hospital, not considering their first impressions of each other. His hair is a cocoa colour, with golden strands that weave through the brown hair like rays of sun through a dried autumn tree. His skin is sun tanned and smooth to the touch, little scars and freckles littered his body like splattered paint across a canvas. Tall and broad shouldered his square head fit perfectly, with high cheek bones and a strong jaw accompanied by his pearly white teeth. His features were sharp and strong. Yet he looked calm and soft. But his eyes are a piercing blue. He was a masterpiece.

He tapped his foot gently on the ground as he listened carefully to the low murmur of the doctors and static of the untuned TV. He fiddled with the loose strand on the hem of his sleeve, reconsidering if this is the best time to meet her.

"Baxter Hall?"

His head shot up and he stared into another pair of blue eyes. Her golden hair was tied up low behind her head with her scrubs on and a clipboard that she held close to her chest.

"Yes that's me." She nodded and turned, indicating for him to follow her.

He stood up and followed the woman he had been speaking to, Penny Quinn.

They walked down halls, which seemed endless to him. All white, doors lined up with a number stamped on them they passed. The soft sound of beeps of the passing monitors that were linked to the patients filled his ears.

But all his senses focused on the open doorway they now stood in.

The lady stopped and looked into his eyes. Trying to understand the situation at hand.

"She knows your here."

"That's good, I guess."

"She said whatever to letting you, so I took it as a yes, because she never gave me a firm no."

He wondered why she was not bothered to see him. He was almost on the verge of tears. He didn't understand how a girl he had never met in the flesh could have this affect on him. How she could hold such value to him which he had formed over the last months conversations.

"To be honest I've never seen her in person. I pranked called her and then two times after we became friends."

"Cute" was all she muttered before she walked away.

His eyes roamed the bland room, but what stood out was her.

She laid there in a white hospital gown staring out the window that the raindrops hit, reflecting a pattern across he floor and along the end of her bed.

Her hair was dark brown and lusciously long, it had blue dyed streaks in it, maybe an act of rebellion or spontaneous actions. Her skin was olive and youthful. Light from her lamp lined her face, her button nose and plump lips lined with silver.

She was beautiful.

More than anything he could've imagined.

But what made his heart ache was as she turned her head he looked at her golden brown eyes, he saw that around one eyes was purple. Bruises and in her eyebrow was stitches and bloody cuts. Each looked fresh and painful.

Her hands clutched the sheet in agony as she shifted, his eyes snapped to the bruised knuckles.

"Don't move you'll hurt yourself."

"What are you doing here?" Was all she said.

"I wanted to know if you were ok."

"You could've called."

"I wanted to know that you were ok, in the flesh"

"Well I'm perfectly fine!"

"You don't look it."

"Well I am!"

"Why'd you try to do it?"

"Because I wanted to go"

"But what about the people that are around you? What about their feelings?"

"They didn't care."

"I do."

"You were just a guy that happened to prank call me. I just wanted to talk to someone without them knowing me. Without them seeing my life, my face, my feelings."

"Why?"

"Because it was easier. It was easier just to talk away the pain. To get rid of the nightmares by talking about cràp with you."

"We weren't talking crap."

"Oh we were. Where did you think out relationship was going to go? We met because you were being immature and prank calling people."

"I wanted to have some fun."

"But it didn't last. Nothing ever does."

"What do you mean?"

"I got tired. You didn't work anymore. You just made it more complicated."

"How?"

"By being there."