Ch. 16-Unloved

Emily's POV:
Back in the ballroom, I look for Jefferson but he seems to have vanished into the crowd. Brushing my hair off my shoulders, I walk toward the drinks when a figure hits me, "watch it!"
"I'm sorry about that sir."
Looking at the hazel eyed man standing in front of me, he gives me a gentle smile "it's alright my dear, these things do happen."
His eyes glance down my body as I tuck a strand of hair behind my ear.
"You're very pretty, what's your name?"
"Emily," I respond shyly.

A glass of champagne in his hand, his eyes graze toward my neck that holds the necklace.
Raising an eyebrow, he asks "is that yours by any chance?"
I look down and touch it, "yes, my mom gave it to me when I was very young. I miss her so much." Trying to cover up the tears, one drips down my cheek.
"Is something wrong?"
Shaking my head, I wipe away the tears and sniff, "everything's fine."
He nods and eyes the item once more, "it is really beautiful." It glistens in the light as I hear the music change pace to a faster song.
He taps his foot, "it was nice to meet you Emily. Maybe we shall meet again sometime," he grins.
I cringe as he kisses my hand and walks away. Touching the necklace, I mumble "what was that about?"
I see the man again smirking at me as I turn around. Rolling my green eyes, he thinks "what I saw 5 years ago, that couldn't be the same necklace. What if it is, then she's a-"

Kaden's POV
    Laying flat on my back with a arm over my eyes, I curse and sniff, "I can't believe I did that. How stupid of me! I should've known this would happen."
  Taking a few deep breaths, I sit up and adjust my clothes as my hand reaches the doorknob.
   "Kaden!" The white door slams into my body as I fall back. Rubbing my head, I look up with a "what the hell" look as my uncle stands speechless in the doorway. His eyes grow wide with worry as he helps me up, "I'm sorry about that."
I forgive him as I go toward a lounge chair by the window and sit down. Crossing my legs, I dig the palm of my hands into my eyes as I let out a long sigh and mumble Emily's name once more.

My uncle clears his throat, "nephew, you'll never guess what I uncovered."
"Not now uncle, I'm busy," as I rub my face.
"You really need to hear this Kaden!"
"I said not now!"
My uncle storms into my chambers, grabs my shoulders and shakes me, " you listen here, you spoiled brat. I'm trying to tell you something, but you don't seem to care. Just for once, shut up and listen!!"
   I huff and raise my hands in surrender, "ok, out with it, you twit."
It just blurts out of his mouth, "I don't think we killed all of the Cordovans."
  I uncross my legs and look at him with suspicion "you killed them all. You said that-"
"I know what I said! But I think your little Emily isn't who she says she is."
  I push him away, stand up and walk toward the slightly open window and I feel a soft breeze kick in. It rustles my golden brown hair as I shake my head, "what are you saying uncle?"
   "I have reason to believe that this girl you love is Emily Cordova, last royal of the Cordovan bloodline and rightful Queen of Castor."
  I bite my lip, "No. You're wrong uncle, this can't be."
   He comes up behind me and places a hand on my buff shoulder, "she was carrying a necklace. A blue amulet that her mother gave her when she was very young. Apparently, it holds sentimental value."
      I shove his hand away, "get out."
"There's more."
      I curl a hand into a fist and squeeze my eyes tight, trying to keep myself under control "I said get out!"
   Letting out a sigh, I hear footsteps on the floor as the door clicks shut.