Chapter One

Chapter One

Niti's POV

Sitting in the plane for 16 hours is not as fun as people might think. The blonde air hostess with long beautiful legs places my tray and smiles at me.

I reciprocate the gesture, and tell her that I don't want anything else when she asks me. I take a bite from the mashed potatoes and cringe at the horrendous taste. I don't even bother touching the beef stake because its state says it all.

I try to swallow down the horrible potatoes because I was starving and didn't want to die because of starvation.

After I finish my meal I plug in my earphones to my phone and hit the play button. Ed Sheeran's sweet voice fills in my ears and in no time I fall in a deep slumber.

⚫⚫⚫⚫

When I wake up I check the monitor over my head. It says we still have 1 hour to land. I basically have nothing to do so I just watch the people surrounding me. I spot a baby in his mother's arms. How hard it would have been for this lady to carry this child for nine months.

I look beside her and see an old man reading a magazine. I think about how wise these people are. They face so many hardships in their life. Give birth to new ones. Take care of them. I feel sorry for the ones who don't have anywhere to go and live in old homes.

Well this is life. You have to struggle and keep yourself alive.

I bitterly smile at my thought. But its the truth. My parents died in a car accident when I was 14. I've been living with my uncle and aunt for 3 years in Manhattan.

My mom was originally from Manhattan, and my Dad was an Indian. I took after my father golden skin, plum pouted lips and big eyes. But I enherited my mother's eye color- hazel brown. I'm 17 short, a 5'5, and curvy, but my uncle told me that boys love short and curvy girls. So I'm satisfied with my body.

It is a very beautiful country. Manhattan. I loved it over there. I was homeschooled, my aunt and uncle are very protective over me. They never allowed me to go out make friends or party. So I found my friends in books.

I love reading books. Especially the classics. My favorite is Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen. I get lost in the utterly beautiful world of Elizabeth and Mr.Darcy.

"All pessengers, please turn of all electronic devices and put you seatbelts on. We are about to land" The pilot interrupts my thoughts.

I quickly turn off my phone, and put my seatbelt on.

The plane lands and I take all of belongings and search for my sister, Vibha, in the crowd of people, waiting for their loved ones.

I spot her wearing a yellow top with white shorts. She looks beautiful. I run over to her hug her with all my strength. I wasn't allowed to live e with her because she was not legal but since, she turned 21 last month, I can live with her.

I am utterly excited to live with her. I can finally make new friends and party.

"How are you, Nandini?", my sister asks once we depart from each others arms.

"I'm fine,young and beautiful" I reply sassily.

I'm not the shy girl people might think I would've been. I'm full with sassy and sarcastic comments. Sure I respected and obeyed my uncle and aunt, but I'm not the same girl anymore. No one is there to stop me now.

"Still the same Nandu, I see", Vibha tease me.

"Yeah yeah", I laugh and roll my eyes at her. "Now take me to your car, would you?"

We get to her car. It was an Audi r8.

"Wow", I whisper. "Nice wheels you got there"

"Thanks", she thanks me.

We drive past cozy homes and trees. We reach a medium size house.

Its in a beautiful white and blue color. I immediately fall in love with it.

My sister leads me inside the house its more beautiful then outside. When I reach my room I don't bother to check my sorroundings and fall on the bed face plant, and fall asleep.