Chapter Six: He is a Gentle Man

Chapter Six : He is a Gentle Man

The walk from their room to his study wasn't too long. In fact, it was right next door to the shower room. And it was obvious once the door slid open that he'd been staying there for the last few days.  Clothing was neatly folded on the couch next to a thick grey blanket and a pillow .

His presence permeated the room. 

But the biggest shocker was perhaps the antiquated feel. It reminded her much of a Victorian library. The walls were coverd in what seemed to be a red and black stripped wallpaper. There was a desk made of what was most likely Brazilian rosewood, its beautiful rich color giving off a vibe of pure elegance. An entire wall was covered by shelf after shelf of books, ones even older than her.

It was what was hidden in the corner that caught her eye and made her breathless . Even though it was hidden in a case, she knew exactly what it held. 

She looked to Dis with apprehension. "Is that what I think it is?" she asked, choking back her panic.

He smirked and nodded ever so slightly. Without hesitation he headed straight for it and removed it from its case.

In his hands was a beautiful and ancient cello. 

Seeing it had made her nearly cry. For a split second it was not Dis E'vander before her, but rather Hassin. He'd played the cello as well, and seeing the man who looked exactly like him with the same instrument in hand was heartbreaking.  

But she knew it was not him and willed away the painful feelings inside her.

He took note of her teary eyes and smiled with a tenderness she'd never seen before. He turned away from her and swiftly put it away. His hands deftly handling the fragile instrument. 

Once he was done, he sighed and sat on the sofa and  beckoned her to do the same.

"You..." he muttered. "You are so hard to understand..."

Ashra sat on the other end of the sofa and tucked her legs beneath her body and looked away from him. 

"You know, I was going to say the same thing about you," she answered back softly .  "One moment you're cruel and distant and the next you're kind and gentle. You're so... bi polar..."

Dis snorted. "Like you can talk, you act so meek and weak willed when it suits you and then fiesty and uncontrollable when you want your way. You cry and then laugh and cry again."

Ashra turned to look at Dis, expecting to see a scowl or something similar only to be met with a bemused expression. 

She laughed softly and put her hand out.

"I suggest we call a truce. Both of us aren't who we thought the other was...  I guess we got off on the wrong foot. I was rather cranky after being attacked and being held prisoner so I obviously wasn't on my best behavior." 

Dis lifted an eyebrow but nonetheless extended his hand and shook hers. 

"Truce."

Pulling her hand away, she shifted her body so that she was facing away from him again. Elbow against the arm of the sofa, she rested her chin on her palm and sighed as she looked at the pillow and blanket next to her. 

"I imagine it is rather uncomfortable to sleep here, but I suppose sleeping next to a beauty like me is even more uncomfortable" 

She heard Dis snort and smiled slightly. 

"Indeed, but I told you not to think to highly of yourself. It is not because of you that I've been in here. But rather I needed somewhere quiet to do my work.  You must concede that you tend to stir things up." 

Without having to look, she knew he was touching his neck gingerly. Still, she wouldn't apologize. 

She sighed again.  "Either way, even I have a conscious. I've stolen your bed and reduced you to sleeping in your study,  and since we both agreed to a truce and you revealed your inclinations to me, I see no reason why you can't sleep in your own room." 

This time he let out a booming laugh. 

"I see no problem with that, other than the part the equation that involves you. I might really murder you if you pull the same stunt as before." 

It was Ashra's turn to giggle. "As long as you don't touch me, I promise to be silent when you sleep." 

They both laughed and deep down Ashra found herself becoming more and more intrigued by Dis. She didn't understand him, and that was what made him so interesting. 

                                          *

Weeks passed slowly but were nevertheless enjoyable. In his off time Dis played chess with Ashra, though they rarely finished a game to completion. She found out through a conversation that his chess set was much like her throne. It was his pride and joy and one of his earliest trophies from a plunder. 

They ate dinner in his room, for she was forbidden to enter the mess hall after she'd broken a crew members arm when he'd tried to grab at her behind during an illfated lunch. Itys and Meleager joined them often. Mostly to go over work and such, but sometimes to relax. She found out from Dis after a while that Noam still hadn't forgiven her for her outburst and refused to come near her.

She didn't mind too much. She wasn't bored anymore and it didn't matter if Noam came around or not. 

She found with each passing day that she grew to respect Dis more and more. He was capable, a hard worker, and intelligent. Even when he was seemingly exhausted he still pushed himself to keep moving. Sometimes not returning to the room until long past his usual resting time only to leave again after an hour or so of rest.  

She had lost the will to loathe him. He was someone she could truly admire. And while she knew it was wrong, she grew to trust him.  The two of them were far more similar than she had realized . And while he'd become much kinder, he was still occasionally as sadistic as he was when the first met.  

And as more days passed, the less and less she thought of him as resembling Hassin and the more and more she saw him for himself. That in itself was a feat to celebrate. 

Still, it was his sleeping face that caused her troubles.  While she knew it was Dis, she couldn't help but think of Hassin. The only remedy to stop those thoughts was to build a barrier so she didn't have to look at him. After time it became less of a problem. Sleeping next to Dis became a habit, as if she was sleeping with a pet dog. 

It was almost laughable, their situation, but for the first time in decades, Ashra felt content. She knew that she couldn't stay forever, but she wanted to relish the peace for as long as she could.

Dis had become the first companion she'd had in a very long time.