Chapter 2

When we got to school, Reese left me with Malcolm to go flirt with the cheerleaders. It mainly ended with Reese getting his ass kicked by the cheerleader's boyfriends or him just embarrasing himself. I felt a pit in my stomach when I saw him go up to one and they both started smiling. She was taller and prettier than me. Her light blonde hair bouncing in the wind, and her skinny, but curvy figure looked amazing in her cheerleading outfit. Malcolm walked up from behind me and put his hand on my shoulder. "You like him, don't you?" He asked. I nodded as I felt tears fill my eyes. I tucked the end of my sleeve in my fist and wipped my eyes. I heard the bell from inside the school. I looked over and saw the cheerleader give Reese a piece of paper. I admit it, I was jealous, but I didn't want Reese to get hurt. I sighed and strted walking into the school to go to class.

English. I hated English. It kind of seemed pointless, like when are we going to need to write an essay when we are adults? I get that it's for college, but after 2nd grade, they just go over the same stuff. I walked in and sat down at my desk. I saw Reese walk in after a couple more students. I rolled my eyes and got out a piece of paper. I scibbled my name on it and put the date on it. Reese sat down next to me and started spitting spit balls at people. I rolled my eyes again. Normally, I would have been slightly smirking or even quietly giggling, but this time, I only felt anger.  I stared out the window at a tree swaying in the wind. It seemed like it had a soul and was waving to me. "Miss Adams?" The teacher called to me. I broke my gaze away from the window and looked at him. "Where is your introduction and body paragraph for the essay?" He asked, holding a clipboard as he walked around. I took out my folder and showed my work to him and then continued to look out the window. "Mr. Wilkerson?" He asked Reese. "Um... My brother's funeral was last night," he lied. I face palmed and looked at him with an 'are you kidding?' look. 'What?' He mouthed to me. I just rolled my eyes at him. "Oh dear. I am so sorry, but- Detention for lying to a teacher," The teacher snapped. Reese sighed as the teacher started walking to the other students. Reese smirked and grabbed my paper. "C'mon, Reese. Give it back," I whispered. "Nope." He said, popping the 'P'.

(A/N:
Reese: Bold
Bailey: Italics)

What's wrong
Nothing.
Don't lie to me
I'm not
Tell me
No
Bailey... C'mon I know ur not ok
Yes I am. Y don't u ask ur girlfriend
I don't have a girlfriend
Not for long... I saw Nicole Rogers checking u out when u went to talk to her
Sweeeeet. Ur jealous this is wut this is about. U got nothin' to worry about Bales ur always gonna be my #1 best friend in my book :)
:/ ok...

I pushed the note aside and got out a new piece of paper. Reese put his hand on my arm that was resting on the desk. I looked at him and shoved his hand off. Reese had a look of hurt on his face, but it quickly went away when he went back to making spit balls again. I just wanted to tell him that I love him, but I can't. I didn't want it to ruin the friendship, so I kept my mouth shut.

Finally. It was the end of ninth period and I got to go home. To an empty house. Wait, Mom said that Bryce was coming home. That meant beer, drugs, and hookers. Damn it. I rolled my eyes and started walking home. "Bailey! Wait up!" I heard Malcolm call to me. I stopped walking and turned around to face him. "Oh. Hey, Malcolm," I replied. Malcolm walked up next to me and I could see that he was out of breath. Did he run after me? "Are you okay?" I asked. "Yeah, are you?" he asked. I just nodded and looked down at my shoes and started walking again. "Reese was looking for you," Malcolm said, continuing to walk with me. "Oh," I replied. It was all I could get out. "I know you like him, you don't have to hide it from me," Malcolm started again. I sighed. "Why does this have to be so difficult?" I asked. "What do you mean?" He asked, looking at me. "I think he's falling for Nicole Rogers," I stopped walking and turned to look at Malcolm."I just don't want to see him get hurt," I finished. "The cheerleader Nicole Rogers?" He asked. "No. I'm totally jealous of the secretary. C'mon, Malcolm you're supposed to be the smart one," I smirked. "Damn, you didn't need to go all sass queen on me," he laughed and we continued walking again.