Idiosyncratic Calling

++~5 Years Later~++
Starry Knight sat rigid in line next to all the other colts in his class. He clenched his jaw, looking straight ahead impatiently. He, along with his classmates, were lined up in a 4 by 10 row facing a large stage ahead, that held a small podium with Celestias flag on and behind it.
Two important looking ponies, one a stallion and one a mare, walked up and tapped the microphones with their hooves. They then started speaking. Starry zoned out, thinking about this day. After all, it would decide whether or not his dad would see him as a failure, and if he made it to the next level of training, he, for once, actually may please his father.
Today was the final day of Royal Guard training. Everypony in the class was assessed prior, and selections had been made for who was moving on to the next level, and who was staying, the night before. It was announced that 37 of the 40 colts present were going to make it. There were 4 squads total, and Starry was in squad 4, so the selection out of his group was going last.
Starry watched impatiently as one by one each colt was called up and given a medal to show they had passed. Only a few from each squad stayed behind and still in their posts, the ones that didn't make it. One colt in particular looked like he was going to cry. Starry made a mental note not to look too sad if he didn't make it.
He doubted he would make it, after all, his dad had been a key role in helping making the selection decisions, and all morning he had been glaring at Starry, as if there was something irritating on his mind. Starry shrugged it off, paying attention when his squad number was called.
He clenched his jaw as all his colleagues went up and received medals. A nervous sweat found his way into his forehead as each colt went up, received a medal, got cheered for, and went to stand in another line.
Soon, only him and Royal Ribbon remained. Throughout all five years he had became one of the best colts in the class, and there was no doubt he would make it. He sniggered, leaning towards Starry.
"I've observed that there's  two colts standing out, and only you and I remain from our squad. I wonder, who's going to make it?" Starry gulped, looking around. He was right. He then turned and snarled in his direction.
"Buck of-"
"Royal Ribbon! Please come up to the stage."
A chorus of cheers erupted as Royal went up and waved to all the ponies present, flashing a snooty smile in Starry's direction. Starry glared at him the whole time he was up there. Royal bent down on one knee, getting a golden medal gently set around his neck, and rose, saluting the mare. He then shook hooves with the stallion, and ran over to the group of waiting colts. He jumped on top of them, and they held him up, shouting his name.
"And that concludes our..."
Starry zoned out. His father was glaring at him, and only him. He locked eyes with his scorching red eyes then looked away, slightly ashamed but mostly mad because his father most likely didn't stand up for him when the decision was made to have him retake the first course of training.
Of course I'm a failure. Dad probably didn't even try to get them to pass me to the next level.
A sudden hoof firmly landed on his shoulder, shaking him out of his thoughts. Starry looked up to see his dad, who was very angry.
"I'm real disappointed in you, son.." He grumbled, staring ahead. He squeezed Starry's shoulder once more before walking away.
Starry sighed, turning towards the exit.
After all, what's the point in staying for the after party if he didn't even make it?
Dark clouds loomed up above. It looked as if it was going to storm soon.
-~------------------~-
Starry slammed the front door of his house shut, taking off his armor and hanging it on the coat rack. His mom was walking into the front room, an excited look plastered on her face.
"So, how's my level two guard doi-"
"I didn't make it." Starry said blankly, brushing past her, heading to another room.
"W-what?" His mom murmured, taken aback.  "B-but... Your friend, Royal Ribbon, told me that he was helping you become a better-"
"Are you kidding? He is always trying to bring me down! That son of a-"
The sudden swinging open of the front door cut off Starry mid-rant. His dad stepped in, rain pouring in after him. Thunder rumbled in the distance. He took off his helmet, looking through the main hallway into the room they were in. Starry and his mom ran into the front room.
"What happened? I thought you weren't supposed to be home until nine?"
He looked at Starry, his glare intensifying. Water dripped from his strong frame, forming a puddle on the floor underneath him.
"There was a sudden emergency in Saddle Arabia that required immediate attention. Princess Luna has had it ordered that we leave immediately. And you-" he pointed at Starry. "Are coming with me." A sudden flash of lighting illuminated the room, with a loud grumble of thunder following seconds behind. Rain was still pouring in, soaking the room. Starry nodded, and quickly grabbed his armor and sword, strapping it all on.
"Oh, do be safe!!" His mother shouted after them. They were running down the street together, clad in Royal Guard armor, going towards the royal ship yard, where an airship was waiting to take them away.
Maybe this is my chance... To live the dream, and to maybe, just maybe, prove to my father that I can be more than just a meek colt....