Chapter Six

Chapter Six

As they entered town, Liam felt Emma grow more and more tense behind him. Her grip on his middle grew tighter, but, Liam didn't mind.

Her touching him that way, taking comfort in him, felt damn good.

Liam grunted. Where the hell had that thought come from?

"Liam... I can't.. I can't do this..."

Liam immediately pulled Honey to a stop. His hand covered Emma's on his middle and the next words were out of his mouth before Liam realized he was going to speak them. "Do you want me to take you back to my cabin?"

Why had he asked her that! Didn't he like his solitude? Yes. But, he also liked her company.

Emma was silent a moment as they remained in the middle of the cold street. Liam could feel eyes on them but he ignored them. He never had given much thought to what other might say or think about him.

"No.." Emma finally whispered. "No, I'll be okay."

Liam tried hard to tell himself it was relief he felt at her answer.

Once again Liam urged Honey forward. He stopped outside the large two-story boarding house. Liam slid down and helped Emma down as well. "This is Ms. Anita's place. She's a real good person and will see to you just fine."

Liam had to put some distance between them. He was staring to think things and say things that just weren't him. "Yer not comin'?" Emma asked, fear thick in her voice.

Liam tried hard to smile reassuringly—damn this woman had him rattled. "You'll be just fine. I don't make it to town often and have business to tend to." Plus, he wasn't about to let his aunt see him with Emma and start getting thoughts in her head.

He saw her lip quiver as she wrapped her arms around herself. Liam cursed inwardly. He reached in his pocket and pulled out several coins. "Here..." he grunted.

Emma stared down at the money a moment before raising her chin and meeting his gaze full force. "I don't want yer money."

Liam shook his head. "Don't be stubborn. You might need it."

After several moments of standoff, Emma took the money from his hand. "I'll pay ya back."

Liam simply shrugged. "Ms. Anita will take care of you, Emma. You'll be safe here."

She nodded as she sucked in a shuddering breath. "Thank ya fer everythin'."

"I'll see you around, Emma."

Liam quickly turned and led Honey away. This was best. Liam liked his life just fine the way it was and he didn't want complications. Emma would be just fine here in town. Liam would make sure of that.

***

Emma was terrified. Her knees shook and her breath was hard to draw as she walked up the stone path to the porch of the boarding house.

Emma spared a glance over her shoulder but Liam was well on his way up the road. She knew her hurt and disappointment was unfair. Liam had done so much for her—more than anyone else ever had—she had no right to want more.

Turning her attention back to the task at hand, Emma climbed the porch steps and knocked three times gently against the door. She fiddled with the frays on her coat sleeves as she waited for the door to be answered.

The thought of meeting a new person all alone terrified her but if Liam trusted this woman, Emma would too. The door opened and Emma found herself face to face with a plump woman who appeared to be near fifty.

Her blond hair was graying and lines surrounded the corners of her kind brown eyes. "Can I help you?"

"Are ya...." Emma took a breath to stay her voice. "Are ya Ms. Anita?"

A smile formed on the older woman's lips. "I sure am. What's your name, sweetheart?"

"Emma..." Emma wasn't sure she should tell the woman her last name.

Anita raised one graying brow. "Emma Hawke?"

Fear clawed at her gut. Her pa must have beat her heare! Now he'd know where she was! These people would tell him. Liam had been wrong. She wasn't safe.

Emma turned to run but Anita's hand closed around her wrist, stopping her. "Don't run, sweetheart. You'll be safe here. That bastard won't touch you here."

Emma's eyes widened at not only the woman's promise but also her language. She seemed far too innocent a lady to be using such a word. Emma didn't know whether she wanted to laugh or cry.

Anita smiled once again and patted Emma's arm gently. "Who brought you here? Surely you didn't walk all this way in the cold."

"No." Emma glanced up the road and saw Liam stepping into the mercantile. "Liam McIntyre found me... I'd fell asleep in his barn and he took me in, fed me and brought me here to ya."

"He did?" Anita's brown eyes filled with pride. "My nephew turned out alright, if I do say so myself. He was young when his mama passed on. My sister's husband is a terrible father and I did the best I could to teach Liam wrong from right so he wouldn't end up like his pa."

Emma's head spun as all that information sunk in. She'd learned more from Liam in the last sixty seconds than she'd learned in the last couple of days.

Why hadn't Liam told her that Ms. Anita was his aunt?

"You seem lost, sweetheart," Anita spoke gently.

Emma nodded. "I am.... So much has changed in so little time."

Anita took her hand. "Come in out of the cold and we'll talk about it."

Emma let herself be led into the home. It was finer and grander than any she'd ever seen. The floors were polished wood. The walls were painted and papered. A short hall led into a sitting area with a floral sofa and a roaring fireplace.

Anita motioned for Emma to sit, poured water into a shimmering glass and placed it in Emma's hand before sitting beside her. "Okay, sweetheart. I've already decided to take you in and help you every way that I can. I'll teach you skills helpful to a woman, help you find a way to earn money and get you on your feet. Part of that growing process is you telling me exactly what led you to my doorstep today."

Emma gripped the glass tightly. The faster she got the story out, the less time she'd have to break into tears. So, after a deep breath, Emma began.

She told Anita all about the terrible night her pa had finally taken his beatings too far and killed her mother. She'd been honest about her own fear and uncertainty as she'd run away and fled that mountain in the dark and cold.

She even found herself telling the other woman a little about growing up on the mountain. Isolated and seeing little more than those four cabin walls all her life.

Anita's brown eyes were sympathetic as she patted Emma's hand. "You're safe here, sweetheart. I'm respected in this town and so is Liam. You don't have to worry about a thing."

Emma stiffened at first when Anita wrapped her in a warm embrace. Then she relaxed into the kind gesture—so unlike most of what she'd known her whole life.

Withthat hug, Emma felt warmth and peace blossom in her heart. It was only thesecond time in her life she'd felt such things and she wondered if every memberof Liam's family would have such an effect on her.diΜP