Chapter Thirty-Two

Chapter Thirty-Two

"I'm getting married! Oh Lord.... Somebody pinch me quick so I know I ain't dreamin'!" Cassandra exclaimed as she stood before a full length mirror in her room at Anita's and stared at herself in her white lace gown.

Lauren reached out and pinched the back of Cassandra's arm causing the other woman to let out a yell and glare at the girl. "What was that for?"

Lauren shrugged. "You asked for somebody to pinch you!"

"That's enough you troublemaker," Anita scolded with a smile as she stepped into the room. "Cassandra, you look beautiful."

Emma had to agree with Anita. Cassandra's wild curls couldn't be tamed but they suited her perfectly as they cascaded down her back and the lace gown contrasted with her golden skin.

"If my pa and brothers could see me they wouldn't believe their eyes," Cassandra stated, touching her lightly painted cheek.

Emma's heart ached a bit for her friend. Despite several invitation sent to her family in the last month, they had refused to come to her wedding. Apparently sending her to Anita had been their way of getting rid of Cassandra for good—that made Emma even more happy to know that the other woman had found such love with Ben and friends and family within their group.

A knock came on the door. "Come on in unless you're Ben! Ben you ain't supposed to see me yet!" Cassandra warned, slipping behind the curtain and yelling from behind it.

The door opened and Kyle poked his head in. "If there's one thing I'm not, it's a preacher man," Kyle assured them with a smile.

Emma noticed the bag in his hands. "What do you have there?" she asked.

He held it out to her. "It's for you. From Liam. I was sent up here with direct instructions, which have already been given the stamp of approval from the bride and groom so don't feel as if you're stepping on toes....."

"What are you talking about?" Emma asked, feeling confused by his rambling.

"Just look at what's in the bag, sweetheart," Anita urged.

"Yeah, I'm having a hard time keeping it a secret," Cassandra agreed. "I ain't good at keeping my mouth shut."

"We know," Lauren quipped.

Emma took the bag and opened it slowly. She instantly recognized the white lace gown from her wardrobe at the cabin. "I.... I don't understand..."

Kyle took her hand and tilted his head. "Liam wanted to come tell you this himself but he was afraid of bad luck if he saw you..."

"But we're already married...."

"Wasn't much of a wedding," Kyle countered. "Liam loves you, Emma. You have changed that man for the better and he wants to make you happy. He wants you to have a real wedding with all of the people that love you both there to celebrate with you."

Emma couldn't stop the tears that filled her eyes. She blamed it on the babe in her belly. She laid her hand over her stomach which was just slightly beginning to grow round—not enough to be visible beneath her dresses and skirts.

Cassandra came around the curtain. "Please do this with me, Emma. I'm nervouser than a long-tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs! I'd feel a lot better about it all if I had my friend up there with me getting married too."