Chapter Seven

Chapter Seven

Emma had slept peacefully her first night in Anita's boarding house. She'd had her own small room with a tiny brass bed, a wardrobe and her own wooden stand with a ceramic wash basin.

Never had Emma had such fineries or a room of her own.

"Did you sleep well?" Anita asked as Emma followed the scent of frying bacon and stepped into the kitchen.

"Yes, ma'am," Emma replied politely.

"Don't call her ma'am," a dark haired young girl currently eating at the table warned. "She hates it."

"It's true," Anita sighed. "I do."

Emma bowed her head, dropping her gaze to her feet. "I'm sorry."

"Well don't do that!" the girl at the table exclaimed. "Now I feel guilty for scolding her!"

Another young woman, probably just a few years older than Emma, stepped into the kitchen. "Lauren, stop torturing the new girl," she teased as she tossed back her blond hair.

Emma was struggling to breathe. She was completely overwhelmed and fighting the urge to turn and run. Anita's hand gently patted her arm. "Don't mind them, sweetheart. Ladies, this is Emma. She's just come from a bad situation and needs time to adjust before the two of you give her too much trouble."

Emma hated how weak that made her sound. She squared her shoulders and forced a smile, despite her shaking hands. "I'm okay, Miss Anita."

"Yeah." The dark-haired girl with freckles and green yes stood up. She couldn't have been more than twelve years old. "She's fine." The girl held out her hand and Emma made herself shake it. "My name's Lauren and the rude blond is Sally."

"Rude?" Sally laughed lightly. "Lauren wouldn't know manners if you smacked her with them."

Lauren scoffed. "I've gotten better!" She nudged Anita with her elbow. "Tell her I've gotten better!"

Ms. Anita's face revealed nothing but patience. "Of course you have. But, I must remind you that it's impolite to nudge."

Lauren's face burned bright red beneath her freckles. "Sorry, Ms. Anita."

Anita turned her smile toward Emma. "Eat some breakfast, Emma, and then the girls will take you to the dressmaker."

Emma's heart skipped with excitement. A dress? A dress all her own? A new dress? She frowned. "But... dresses cost money.. I don't have any."

She thought of the coins Liam had given to her. Would fifty cents buy a dress? Emma had no idea. She had never been shopping.

Lauren snorted with a smile. "You're a timid little bird, aren't you?"

"Leave her be," Sally scolded gently. She draped her arm across Emma's shoulders. "You can just buy things on Ms. Anita's credit and, once you've started earning money, you can pay her back."

Emma felt lost. She knew nothing of the world and had so much to learn.

"Don't worry, Emma," Anita comforted knowingly. "You're overwhelmed but we'll help you. You've got friends now."

After Emma got her fill of breakfast, she, Sally and Lauren left for the dressmakers.

"We're lucky the logging is doing so good," Sally noted as they walked down the rather crowded boardwalk. "And luckier that the mines are booming a bit further away. It means we still get travelers and revenue here in Spring Falls, without those uncivilized mining types and violence."