Heartbeats

Stiles was shaken awake by Scott. He glanced up quickly, almost forgetting the events that happened just a few hours before.

"Stiles are you alright?" Scott asked. Stiles looked up at him, still angry for all of the lies he believed. Maybe if Scott had just listened to him, he wouldn't have been "dead". Scott's voice appeared again gripping Stiles from his thoughts. "Stiles, there's blood all over your mouth are you okay?" Stiles looked around curious to see if the empty bag of blood he drank was gone. It was. Theo must have picked it up before he left Stiles in the middle of the road. He also noticed a ring on his finger. He didn't bother to take it off, Theo must have put it on him for a reason.

"Stiles... I know you're mad, but please..." Scott paused. "answer me."

Stiles took a deep breath in to his hallow chest with no beating heart and released it slowly. "Scott, I'm not upset. I mean, I was but let's just forget about it."

There was a long pause of silence before Stiles spoke up again.

"I guess, I just passed out on the pavement. I'm going to head home and rest. There's a lot on my mind at the moment."

Stiles started walking over to his jeep when I voice rang behind him.

"Stiles, I'm not mad about Donovan." Stiles stopped walking and slowly turned around. "I know you just don't go around killing people."

"You think that's what I was mad about, Scott?" He paused a hurt expression on his face. "It was much more than that. You're the one that got me turned into a -" Stiles stopped himself and Scott had a confused look painted over his face. Stiles turned around again and continued walking.

But as he was walking away he spoke once more. "And if you were wondering Scott... I'm much more of a killer than you'd think."

-

Stiles was home now, laying in bed playing with the ring on his finger. He wondered what it did. He was lost in thought when the front door opened. He knew who it was instantly.

"Dad?" Stiles yelled down the stairs.

"Stiles, I brought you home some curly fries from after work."

Stiles smiled slightly, then sighed. He knew that even his favorite curly fries couldn't satisfy the hunger he felt in his stomach.

"Umm... Thanks Dad." Stiles called down the stairs.

"Aren't you going to come down, Stiles?" His dad yelled back up to him. Stiles thought about going back down but whenever he did all he could hear was a heartbeat. His Dad's heartbeat. Stiles knew he'd hurt him if he went down stairs so he just stood in his doorway and simply said, "No Dad, I'm a little tired so I'm just going to head to bed."

"Okay." His Dad's voice rung out over the empty house.

A minutes minutes later Stiles heard yet another knock on the door. And he heard yet another heartbeat.

Stiles had no clue who it was. He figured it was Scott, so he just completely ignored it and went back to laying down. He was almost falling asleep when his bedroom door slowly pushed open.

In the doorway stood Malia. She looked straight at Stiles and simply asked, "May I come in?"

Stiles sat up on his bed and nodded his head yes. She shuffled over and sat next to next to him. There was a long pause before anyone spoke. Malia was the first to speak up.

"Stiles... Scott told me what happened." She glanced up at him and they made eye contact for the first time since she's came.

"What do you mean?" Stiles asked with a confused look on his face. Does she know? He was freaking out inside but didn't show it on the outside.

"I'm not mad..." She paused. "I'm not mad about Donovan."

Relief flooded Stiles and he took a deep breath in. "It wasn't all my fault..."

"I know, Stiles. And that's why I'm not mad." She smiled at him and he looked away. Her voice rung out again. "But why would you tell Scott that you're a killer?"

"Malia, I honestly don't feel like talking about it right now."

Malia put her hand on his shoulder and Stiles shrugged it away.

"Stiles, you can talk to me."

"I know I can but... I can't..."

"Why do you mean you can't?" Malia asked, her voice rising a little. That's when Stiles completely lost it. The sound of her heartbeat and all the stress was overwhelming.

"Malia I said I don't want to talk about it! Don't you get that?" After Stiles said that he just snapped. He was slowly losing his mind again. Not because he was possessed by a nogitsune, but because he was a vampire...

"Stiles, I'm not leaving until you tell me what is going on!"

"Malia! I can't..."

"You know what Stiles... Before it didn't matter to me... but now you're hiding something from me. You can tell me anything and I won't judge."

"I know." Stiles could feel his hunger rising along with the feeling that his canine teeth were starting to get longer, forming into fangs. He didn't want to hurt Malia.

"Stiles?" Malia asked panicked. "Why is your heart not beating?"

Stiles just stood there staring at her.

"Stiles? Are you dead... or dying?" Stiles could hear the panic in her voice but said nothing. He continued to stand there.

"Fine. If you don't want to answer me I'm going to leave." And with that she turned and walked out the door. Stiles knew she wouldn't talk to Scott. She never did.

Stiles slowly walked over to the bathroom and looked at himself in the mirror. He opened his mouth revealing his two fangs. He poked at them with his finger and continuously wondered how they could just appear. But right now he wanted them to disappear. He gave up after a while and went back to his bed.

As much as he wanted to go to sleep, he couldn't. He couldn't fall asleep with two fangs in his mouth and this unsatisfied hunger in his stomach.

He got up and look out his window and he saw a person out there. Stiles wasn't going to do it. Wasn't going to attack him. But the hunger in his stomach was too much. He quickly jumped out of his window and slowly started walking across the street...