The key to success

'Yes, they came to live there on... June or July of 1997,' said Dr.Dick.

'So was the house empty before 1997?,' I asked.

'I don't know,' he said. 'I never bothered to ask them.'

'Thankyou! we will leave now,' I said.

We were soon outside...walking towards the lake. I kicked out snow as I walked. The snow was hard and crusty. I had no idea how to get rid of the Curtis.

'I will try to find who if anyone lived in that house before the Curtis,' said Jason.

I nodded.

'See you tomorrow at school,' said Jason and jogged away towards his house.

'Bye,' I replied and headed to the haunted house.

My boots hardly made a dent in the snow as i leaned into the wind and started to jog. When i reached home, mother was busy packing.I tried to get a afternoon nap. 

I had only two more days! I groaned. If someone used to live in this house before Curtis, where they alive or dead?

The grandfather clock interrupted my thoughts.

TICK! TOCK!

Margaret cunningham will be no help now. She's not willing to tell me anything. I was not even sure if she was still alive or dead after that phone call. I shuddered.

TICK-TOCK!

Only the Curtis can tell me why they are haunting the house. How stupid is this idea! I imagined myself asking them 'Oh Curtis! Please answer my questions and then kill me. Please tell me how did you die and why the hell are you killing people?'

Then i sat up in horror.

The diary! The diary in the locked room! Yes, It can help me in someway. But i had lost the key. I groaned.

A smile spread across my face. I can still have the key!

I quickly climbed out of my bed and headed to the library. I bumped into Nick.

'Nick, what are you doing here?'

I suddenly felt tense.

'Sis, I found a SECRET UNDERGROUND ROOM!'

Sweat rolled down my forehead and my mouth opened and closed like a fish.

'What....?'

'A SECRET UNDERGROUND ROOM!,' he repeated again.

'How did you find it?'

He stepped back in surprise. 'You already know about it?'

'Yes, I've been there. It's.....It's dangerous!,' I shouted.

'No, it's cool,' he said.

'Did you find anything strange there?'

'Strange?'

'Yeah, did y..you..you find a d-dog?,' I asked picturing Tommy in my head.

'Dog? No.'

'oh! I will keep the library locked,' I said.

'Why?,' he demanded angrily.

'I found it first. It belongs to me.'

'That's unfair. I'm going to tell mom.....,' he started.

'Ssshhh! Don't you dare to tell mom anything about it. The room---The room leads to HELL!'

Nick laughed.'Stop joking!'