Ruby |E|

Edited

"Another business trip, sweetheart?" I pout, this is the third one in two weeks! Nicolas has never takes this many trips before. In fact, it's rare if he even gets one trip a month. He's the boss of his company and being the boss means he can send whoever he wants but lately, he's been choosing to go on his own behalf.

"Forgive me, mon amour." Nicolas cuffed my face, scrunching his up in an adorable pout that mirrors mine. I release a shriek of joy as an idea came to mind and a smile creeps itself on my face. "I have an idea, why don't I accompany you? It'll be fun! Don't you think, sweetheart?"

I could feel a soft vibration of chuckles erupt from his chest as his hands drop to my waist. "You know I can't do that, Ruby." His French accent rolling my name around his foreign tongue. I don't speak french, I'm barely learning by little words he says here and there. Others, I look up on Google Translate, yeah I know it's not the same but what else am I to do?

"But why not?" I furrow my eyebrows, arms folding across my chest. "I've went with you before."

"Mon ange, please understand." I could see he was starting to get a little annoyed with my persistence. "Last time you accompanied me was because of a faculty ball." Nicolas tugged on my waist, pulling me closer to him once he sees my saddened expression.

I could smell that expensive cologne he uses when he goes on trips without me. "Be a good little wife, I'll be home before you know it."

I nod as he releases his hold on me, the smell of his cologne barely lingering on the edge of my nose. "Alright," I mutter, grumpy that he wouldn't take me. "I'll stay here." Like always, I thought to myself.

"Au revoir, mon amour," Nicolas pecked my forehead before bending down to retrieve his briefcase. "Je t'aime!"

🌸

"Again?" Chloe asks bitterly, giving me the impression that she really doesn't give a damn about my problems.

"Is there a problem, Chloe?" I scowl, if she had a problem with me telling her about my life with Nicolas, then why would she bother to ask how things are going?

"None at all, Rubes!" She sipped her tea, pinky out. She has always been the more "wannabe sophisticated one" between the two of us ever since she watched that horrid film about some woman in a small town in Europe at a country club acting like her husband never cheated on her.

"Chloe," I deadpan.

She sighs, "All I'm trying to say is, don't you think there's something.. fishy going on with his business trips?

Now it's my turn to sip my cup of tea to delay the topic a few seconds. I have thought about that but I always figure that it's just my insecurity that's getting in the way. "He could be doing some hot, french woman while you're here drinking tea like a cheated fool!" Chloe continues, her comments sinking into my mind. What if she's right?

No! She can't be, Nicolas would never!

Her words were harsh enough to get to me but she somehow does have a point. What if Nicolas was cheating on me with a hot lady who understands his language? Would he be capable of such a disgraceful act? Stop it! He wouldn't!

"Call him." Chloe taps her perfectly manicured finger on the screen of my iPhone 6. "Find out yourself."