Ruby |E|

Edited

I wanted to surprise him, pleasure him. So, I went ahead and purchased one of the hottest lingerie I have ever seen and threw it on me a little before I knew he would return home.

Chloe helped me place some beautiful rose petals and small candles that illuminated the path to our bedroom.

I took out some red wine, the finest we own and prepared a delicious meal. "I don't understand you, sometimes." Chloe mutters, "I wouldn't have rewarded my husband for abandoning me at home while he's off on some business trip."

I shot daggers at her. "I'll just go home," Chloe suggests. "I'll call you later to see how it went."

I don't say anything in response, I watch as she walks out the door and once she's out, I hurry to the bedroom.

When I hear Nicolas open the door, I immediately fix myself onto a posing position on our bed. "Nicolas," I seductively lure him in.

I had some hope that Nicolas would've jumped straight at me, aroused with my getup but he just avoided me. He enters the bedroom and the first thing he says is, "What are the disgusting scented candles and dead rose petals for?"

That crushed me - I worked hard on it with Chloe, for fucks sake!

"They're for you." I say feebly, straightening myself up from the pose I'm in. "I was hoping to spend a night of romance."

Again, he ignores me. "What smells like horridly burnt chicken?" He sniffs. Tears form in my eyes as he removes his suit and slides on some comfortable sweatpants, keeping his shirt off.

"I-I cooked," I confess feebly.

"Mon amour," Nicolas chortles, "You know you can't cook." That did it, it killed the mood.

Without a word, I rise from the bed and storm into the bathroom. I stare at my reflection in the mirror for what seems like an eternity as I scold myself.

Stupid and nieve, Ruby. Wearing this crap for a man who didn't even appreciate it. A man who criticized you! I insult my confidence, but look at you! You've turned into a disgraceful, old hag! No wonder Nicolas doesn't want to touch you. You disgust him!

My insecure-self is a rude bitch but she was right. Why would Nicolas want to touch me? I'm just an ugly disgrace of a woman.

After removing my lingerie, I slip into the shower and sob like the fucking fool that I am.