Ruby |E|

Edited

Epilogue

Nicolas Jourdan, a man with impeccable charm, the ability to sweep a nieve woman off her feet, and unbelievable stupidity.

I can't believe it has been a year since he begged for me to forgive him for screwing around with Athena. It has also been a year since I had last spoken to her. . I can't say I don't miss her, because I do.

Chloe had a field day telling Nicolas off for being a cheater, she even kicked him in his groin a couple of times when we returned home. She was also the one to help me pack all my belongings into a suitcase, besides every gift Nicolas has ever given me.

"Stay," Nico pleads. "If you still want the divorce, you'll get it but at least stay in this house. It is your house, afterall."

I shook my head in denial, "Thanks but no thanks. I can't live in this house knowing you and I spent the majority of our lives here. Although there are some pleasant and unpleasant memories within these walls, I can't find it in me to stay."

He fell on his knees beside my feet. "Why not?" He whispers, "We've created memories here, Ruby."

I nod in agreement, "Of course we did and I will cherish those memories for the rest of my life." I know I would. I couldn't forget them, even if I tried. "However, if I stay here, it'll be a constant reminder of you. I don't wish to sound harsh or ungrateful but you have to understand me."

"Je t'aime, Ruby!"

Nicolas always had the ability to make me melt by using those beautiful french words but that time, when he claimed he loved me, I knew it was a lie.

There were times when we fought about stupid, meaningless things. Like the time, on one of our anniversaries, that a game was on the television. He preferred to remain at home and watch it rather than having a night out and celebrate. I wanted to go out with him, we haven't done that in a long time, but he.. he didn't find a reason to.

"Ruby," He hisses. "Let me watch the darn game. We can go out some other time! It isn't like it's a special day!"

I scoff, how can he not think that our 2 year anniversary of marriage is special? "It marks 2 years, Nicolas! I want to do something with you, I want to celebrate! Today marks two years that we both said 'I do' and joined together as a unit! How is that not special!?"

Nicolas rolls his eyes, not once taking them off the dreaded television. "You're so dramatic, Ruby! We're not going out and that's that! Go eat a tub of ice cream or something."

"You're such a connard, Nicolas!"

Our marriage in the beginning was much sweeter and romantic than it was after a few months. For the beginning portion of our marriage he brought me roses and other little gifts. He'd offer me a date night even after he had a long and hard day at work. He'd take me on special dates like an afternoon out to the park or his favourite beach. If something was tarnished or missing, he'd be the first to try and fix it. He even consoled me whenever I was feeling low.

But all of that changed after a while.

He no longer brought me little gifts, he no longer offered me a date night. He didn't take me out in public for anything and when I felt low, he'd pay no attention.

Presently, I find myself thinking about Nicolas and what has become of him.

"Je t'aime, Ruby!"

Pathetic lies.

"Excuse me, miss?" I revert my eyes up to the voice, a tall man with eyes bright blue and light blonde hair.

"Yes?"

"Are you, by any chance, in the mood for a dance?" He sheepishly asks. I was so deep into my thoughts that I had forgotten that today Chloe's brother-in-law's wedding.

I smile at the man and push my hand out to him, "I'd be delighted to."

~Fin~

Thank you so much for reading The Affair from the beginning to end, I appreciate all of your votes and comments, they encouraged me a lot.