The [unrequited] Love Interest

Their sole purpose as a character is to keep the main love interests from already being together. And to sometimes force the main couple together with a mournful "How do you not know ? You're in love with Hero!"

Relationship status: unrequited ;( They have a huge crush on the main character, sometimes even get to date them, but the main character doesn't feel the same way, or is ending up with someone else

They ARE the mushy corner of a love triangle. They're that person that you  might see yourself with, until you realize that the person you actually like-like has a crush on you. You know you could have them if you wanted, so you just kinda put them on the back burner. There's tension, but it's the "I like someone else but you're my backup beau so how do I interact with you?" tension. 

Habitat: near the hero or heroine, somewhere dark and quiet and romantic for an "almost" moment, somewhere they get to have fierce eye contact with their rival for the hero/ine's love, doing something that the hero/ine will notice

Rarely found: as a guest at the happy couple's wedding, or dead (because not every protagonist should have to make such a hard choice!)

Physical attributes:

Handsome-ish

Cute

Sexy

The sort of generic pretty/handsome that is lovable and adorable, but sort of forgettable. They're not quite as perfect as the rival they're competing against. They're missing that "it" factor, even though for anyone but the protagonist, girls and guys would go wild over them.

Other than that, since they're destined for the friendzone, they tend to just get described in expressive ways- like how they're using their eyes and bodies (picking fights, staring down the Hero when they think he's going to get the Heroine killed, etc)

Default expression: it's all in their heartbroken, pained eyes ); Love me, please!

Common traits:

Being good guys/gals, except when they're jealous. They're too perfect and too nice and too easily loved by mom and dad, aka boring.  Then again, they're usually here just to prolong the main relationship, so they don't get much more development and "me" time.

They are cool with dating the hero/ine, if they get so lucky, but about a chapter later seem to develop an innate sense that the hero/ine is in love with someone else...And they figure out who quicker than Sherlock Holmes- sometimes even before the hero/ine knows.

They're very jealous and upset with their rival, but once they breakup or the hero/ine chooses their rival, they're reluctant friends who just want the hero/ine to be happy. They might even warm up to their rival in a grumpy-gruff way.

Weaknesses:

The hero/ine; they would do anything for them, which often makes it sadder when things inevitably don't work out

The rival; no matter what they do, the rival gets the reward

Common background info:

They're here for love they'll never really get. They tend to not have any backstory, other than possibly growing up with the protagonist, or being a coworker or long-time friend or roommate. Someone the protagonist loves, but doesn't love-love.

They're actually one of the few characters who often have parents- because the lucky ones who get a protag's attention for a little while tend to introduce them. But it doesn't matter, because no matter how great they are, their ship was built with holes!

Thank you for reading! :)

If you have anything else to add to this list, comment below!