The Thief's Revenge - Ch 37 [the fall]

Chapter Thirty-Seven

The Fall

_____________________

"Liam," I breathed aloud as I ran. "Liam, Liam, Liam. Oh God."

He was here. And he knew that I was here too. He would be angry but, like his father had said, he would cool. He couldn't be mad forever. I felt a tingling feeling in my chest. If I stood still, he would find me. Like he had promised.

~ Kayli, you missed the stairwell. Turn around and go back. It's on your left now ~

What was I doing? I squeezed my eyes shut and reopened them to a new frame of mind. I HAD to get out. For Fletch. He still needed my help. I turned around and took rushed to the correct door. We still had to get Lee.

Liam was here! He was so close!

"Fletch, Fletch," I muttered to myself, taking two stairs at a time. Forget Liam, concentrate on Fletch. Was he saying something?

~ Kayli! Dammit you need to concentrate! Continue down the staircase until you reach the third floor. Then leave the stairwell, go right and enter the third door ~

Turn right, third door. Turn right, third door.

~ This room has a small ledge outside the window and the same can be said on the floors below it. You should be able to climb down from there ~

Climb? Oh boy, heights were not my thing.

~ Kayli, nod if you understand ~

I nodded. They would see me on the surveillance.

~ Good. Liam's communicating with security and knows where you're headed so we're going to shut off the cameras before you get to the third floor. They won't be able to see you but neither will we. Good Luck, Kay... And I'm sorry ~

I had no confusion as to what he meant. He knew how I felt for Liam, he would know how badly I just wanted to be found, to have the decision of staying or going taken from me.

I let out a breath as I turned to begin making my way to the fourth floor. One more level. I had to get out of here, for Fletch - It was my mantra. I reached the third floor and looked up at the security camera that sat just above the door exiting the stairwell. The red light was no longer blinking. I opened the door and looked both ways, listening hard for any kind of movement. All I heard was the pounding of someone going up the stairs. My heart trembled as I thought about who that person could be. I quickly went out the door and shut it. I looked around for something to bar it with and found nothing in the corridor except for a pot plant that would in no way help me. I settled for using my magic and built a steel wall to block the doorway. Then I made my way to the third door...

The earpiece blared to life so suddenly I forgot where I was and yelped. I slapped a hand over my mouth and listened. I could hear nothing for a moment and then, suddenly, ~Kayli! Fuck, Luke, hold them off for a second! ~

There was a roar, a ferocious sound that made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.

~ Kay, they're raiding Luke's haven, I don't know how they found it. If you get out, do not try to bust us out of wherever we're going. ~

There were some thuds, someone brushed the mike, causing me to hear the friction, and then;

~ Find somewhere safe. That's probably not with Liam right now if he's gone to these lengths... DAMMIT! ~

I heard some yelling and then, ~ Okay, I won't fight. Yeah, Cliff, you got me, have a fucking party... Find Moro! ~ Another voice, a strange deep one with a Texan accent joined Fletcher's. ~ Who is Moro? Man, did you go insane, Fletch? Is that why they kicked you out...? ~