The Thief's Revenge - Ch 46 [liam]

Chapter Forty-Six

Liam

________________

"I can walk."

Fletch snorted.

"No, really. I can run. Let's go run and see Liam, Fletch."

Donovan helped me sit into the wheelchair and Fletch loomed over me, leaning on the arm rests. "You try to run and you'll probably end up collapsing just outside the door. And then you'll never get to Liam. He's not going anywhere, Kay."

"He better not be," I grumbled under my breath. Fletch didn't hear but James, who was over the other side of the room, grinned and shook his head.

Fletch shifted to stand behind me and slowly rolled me out the room. I snapped my fingers. "Faster, boy, faster."

He slowed so that we barely made an inch per second. "You need to calm down so that you don't hurt anything."

I grimaced back at him. "I'm fine. I've been sleeping for two damn days. Stop doing your overprotective mother act."

"Kayli! Two days with your kind of internal injuries would usually be the smallest fraction of time in your recovery. You're lucky, you're healing fast, but you are not fine." He stopped wheeling and tugged on my ear lobe. "Stop wriggling and be more aware of your injuries. I don't want to worry about you any more than I have to."

I forced myself to be still, shamed that I was causing him trouble. "I'm sorry for worrying you," I said, turning to look at him.

He ducked his head and mumbled, "I didn't mean... I was worried but I wasn't frantic... it was nothing..." He sighed and looked up. "I'll be very happy if you decide to move to a safe, peaceful place and never even consider any sneaking, thieving, climbing or even moving ever again. In fact, I'll live there too and bring Moro along. Then I won't have to worry about either of you anymore." He groaned and began wheeling me forward again. "You'd never agree to that would you?"

"No," I said bluntly.

"Right, well, there's still a chance that I could trick Moro into going there with me. I'll just have to threaten Liam with the removal of his manhood if you get hurt at all when you're with him."

I chuckled a little but felt a slight niggle in my stomach. "Don't go anywhere, Fletch. You and Moro need to be around so that I can name you godparents of my first born." I tried to joke but I truly didn't want to see him go somewhere I couldn't see him. He was my family, brother, mother, father and sometimes even sister all melded into one body.

He stopped the wheelchair again. "You're not having kids any time soon."

I bit back a laugh. He would latch onto that. "Oh, no?"

I didn't turn back but I could sense his body tensing up. "You're not having kids until you're at least twenty-five. You can even wait til a bit later than that."

"Yes Dad."

He huffily started forward again.

We turned a corner, one with a nurse's station, and I noticed Luke pacing the hall in front of a patient's room. His expression was stressed and dark. His head snapped up as we approached and he froze on the spot, his eyes widening.

"What the...?" He stalked towards us. "Kayli? Paddy said you shouldn't be up for at least another day. Fletch, take her back, now."

As he got closer I noticed that small droplets of sweat were running down the side of his face and he looked distracted by something that had nothing to do with me.