The Thief's Revenge - Ch 40 [there is good and evil in everyone... surely]

Chapter Forty

[*faints* that's an 'f'load of chapters for me. Thanks fans and wattpad for encouraging me to write]

There Is Good And Evil In Everyone... Surely

_______________________________________

"Damn right you should thank her," Liam huffed from behind me. "If I had found you, before she had been forced to say anything, I would've believed that you worked with your parents. And it would've been damn hard for you to change my mind."

"Geez Liam, stop being so harsh with Donovan." I glowered at him over my shoulder. The wriggling ball in my arms yipped as if in agreement. "How would you react if Dan was arrested? Of course you would automatically believe that he was framed for something but what if he actually hid something from you? You're not exactly the 'write an angry note' kind of person."

"Dad couldn't ever hide anything from me," dismissed Liam.

"You know what she means," sighed Dan, rolling his eyes. "Knowing you, you'd probably frame the guy in return, even if I was actually guilty. The kid's been living through his mutancy otherwise we'd have either caught him earlier or found his dead body somewhere. He hasn't had it easy."

Donovan scowled at the ground. "I don't want goddamn pity."

I turned my glare to him. "Good, because I'm not damn well going to give you any. While you were running around reading everyone's minds, how did you not come across the truth in Liam's?"

He rolled his eyes up to the ceiling. "I didn't bother to search his soul or anything, huntress."

"Whatever," I snapped. "I still can't be bothered feeling sympathetic toward you because you put me in a dangerous position, not telling me all the details when you sent me on your stupid mission. Then you considered kidnapping a boy, the only reason you didn't was because I got there first. And now you're here and I can just TELL that you're going to attempt to mess with my relationship with Liam." I shifted the puppy under one arm and reached out to poke Donovan in the shoulder. "I can tell you now that all your going to do is piss me off and him too which, trust me, is not a pretty sight."

He seemed cowed by my yelling, looking me fully in the eyes with respect and awe. "I'll stay out of your way," he murmured and then reached out to take the pup back. I released the furry thing and was reminded about the reason for the dog's presence.

"I once told you that I'd be your friend," I said softly. "I still mean it."

Liam cleared his throat behind me. "I'll tell you what, Kayli. While you catch up with Donovan, how about I have a talk with dad about Lee?"

"Lee who? Do you mean the general?" Dan asked confusedly.

I turned around with a start. "I was going to tell him. It hardly involves you."

His brows lowered and his eyes hardened. "I will let that go and pretend that you said it because you've got a few problems on your plate at the moment. I'm sure you'd rather not go through everything again." He stepped close and bent down to press a soft kiss to my forehead. "Don't argue..." He raised his head. "And please don't let him seduce you," he whispered. I nearly laughed, but he wasn't smiling.

"I promise," I said in exasperation, patting his cheek. How could he still be doubtful about my absolute love for him? What a doofus.

He nodded and looked over at his father. "My study?" he asked. Dan nodded and they walked up the stairs together. I glanced at Donovan feeling a lot more awkward now that there was only the two of us.

And then the front door slammed shut and James came into the kitchen with his usual smile. It didn't even falter when he saw the tall, dark-haired and scowling Donovan. I was astonished that James felt absolutely no fear towards the guy who had been ready to kidnap him.