one

Introduction:

My whole back hurts as I try to haul my many, many bags up the flight of stairs with me. It is ridiculously cold in this dorm building, considering the fact it's September and the weather outside is something awful.

Being in Manhattan is definitely different. It isn't quite like it was at home. Nothing is quite like it was at home and I hope for my sake and everyone's that I come across, it stays that way.

With a huge huff of air coming out of my mouth, I yank the last bag up the last step and practically fall backwards into the large hallway. There is literally no one in the long corridor and the silence is kind of creepy. Shouldn't everyone be moving in? Shouldn't there be some type of commotion? Anything?

Maybe things are quieter here, which doesn't make any sense. New York is loud period, no matter what part you may find yourself in. God knows Brooklyn was noisy as hell.

I grew up in the nice part of Brooklyn, but eventually found my way to the dark alleys. I don't like to talk about those days, because that was the old Emma. This is the new Emma, author to be.

My mother hasn't even bothered to come down here with me, so I'm stuck hauling bags down to my dorm on my own.

I walk down the hall, searching for my room number. About half way down, I find it and take the key from between my teeth and proceed unlock the door, falling into the roomy space. I observe the tiny room before spotting my new roommate. The girl has jet black hair and is sitting in the middle of the room with homework sprawled out around her. Classes haven't even started yet, so I change my mind about it being homework.

She looks up, and her eyes are as blue as the sky. She's gorgeous and I find myself looking down, slightly embarrassed of the way I look. "You must be Emma," she says, standing from her sitting position to greet me with a large, toothy grin. I nod in confirmation. "I'm Amanda," she says and holds out a hand to me.

I take her hand and give it a firm shake. "The place isn't much, but it works. It's been kind of boring this past week without anyone else in here, so I'm glad you finally made it. I was about to pull my hair out not having anyone to talk to. Silence can kill a girl, ya know?"

An awkward laugh leaves my mouth, not really knowing what to say exactly. Instead, I just nod and push my long, dark auburn hair behind my ear in attempt to keep it from falling in my face.

"We should get your bags," she says, nodding to open door behind me and the mound of bags.

I turn on my heel and walk into the hall so I can grab a few bags. Amanda bends down also, sweeping swiping a couple from the floor and hauling them inside. "I got the last one," I tell her with a shy smile and stumble back into the hall.

My body hits something hard and very alive, because it grunts and shoves me off of it. "Sorry," I mumble.

"Watch it, bitch." A thick British accent comes from above me and I look up to see an attractive boy with an obnoxious smirk and tattoos on his arm. His appearance makes my breath hitch in my throat. I have to remind myself I'm not in that part of Brooklyn anymore. He's not here. He can't get me. I'm safe now. Those small reassurances don't stop me from looking away in disgust. "Well, never mind, actually. Maybe you could come with me," he says lowly while his eyes rakel my body, without even trying to be subtle. I suddenly feel like I'm too exposed even though I'm in skinny jeans and a long red sweater.

"Emma, is everything alright out there? That must be on huge ass bag," Amanda says behind me. I pull the bag with me as I back away slowly from the menacing and all too familiar eyes staring me down.

"Long time no see, Mandy," the boy says darkly.

"Leave you asshole. Why are you in the girl's dorm building anyways? You've already graduated. You know the rules," Amanda hisses.

"Awe, come on, Mands. I'm just having a little fun."

"It's always 'just a little fun.' Go do something with your life instead of being a nasty pig." Her arm pulls me behind her as she slams the door in the intimidating boy's face.

I take a deep breath once I'm safe inside the room, attempting to slow my heart rate down and push the haunting memories out of my mind. "You know him?" I ask.

"Yeah," she says.

"He's um, interesting?" is all I can say back.

"Don't let that douche claim you as another one of his victims," she says in warning.

"What do you mean by victims?" I ask.

"Harry sleeps around with almost every girl here at NYU. Probably has a million STDs by now," she scoffs.

"That's gross, but he's kind of attractive in a way," I add. She looks at me oddly, as if not expecting those words to come from my mouth. She doesn't know me yet, but normally people wouldn't expect the new Emma to come right out and say something like that. Old Emma, that would have been a prayer coming straight from the Bible compared to the other things that would have left my mouth after.

"That's what drags them all in," she sighs.

"I'm just going to unpack," I say quietly, not wanting to continue further discussion.

"Hey, I can't really say anything because I have a boyfriend, but don't worry about Harry. There's plenty of other decent, hot boys here," Amanda giggles while running a brush through her dark hair.

"What would be so bad about that guy? Has anyone ever gave him a chance?"I ask. She drops the brush on her bed, turning to face me. Her mouth is hanging wide open. "No, no, no," I hold my hands up in defense. "I'm not even thinking about going there. I'm just wondering."

"He hasn't ever had a girlfriend. He doesn't let anyone in. He just uses girls basically. Don't let him fool you," Amanda tells me while I put away the last of what I'm unpacking for now. I won't be bothering with the rest because I'll be moving into an apartment as soon as I find one.

"Is he from England?" I ask, sitting down on my bare mattress.

"Yep. He's a real asshole. I don't hang around him anymore."

I want to ask what she means by 'anymore,' but I stop myself.

A/N: WELL LOOK WHO FINALLY FIXED THE CHAPTER. MEE.