Chapter Eight

The rest of the week that I was back at work was fairly normal. Frank and I had almost reached our goal for the billboard design. Nina appeared to be quite impressed with our progress.

Kerry stopped in as we finished uploading the head shots of the news anchors. "I'm getting donuts today, what kind do you guys want?" she asked perkily.

"Glazed," Frank and I answered in unison. We laughed and both thanked her.

The news station had become such a comfortable place to work and I found myself conversing more with my coworkers. It included Lou, but that was only a small portion of my day.

Most of the people in the office were still a little rattled about the FBI investigation. I didn't blame them because I happened to be one of those people.

"Do you think we'll hear if they find any evidence?" I asked Frank. He shrugged helplessly.

"I wish I knew."

It was rather nerve wracking to not be updated on something as serious as that case. I felt like I was pestering Frank every time I asked but I couldn't help it out of lack of security and pure curiosity.

My questions were nearly answered when Detective Fronteiri and agent Thomas had come to the station. I was seated in the same room with them.

"Tanya, thank you for your time with us," Agent Thomas greeted as I scooted in the chair. "We appreciated your help from our previous conversation and are in need of your assistance again."

"Sure, I'm more than willing to help," I said eagerly. He smiled at that before letting Detective Fronteiri take over the discussion.

"A few days ago we searched Mr. Bloom's apartment for any evidence, but we couldn't find anything. We still believe he fits the profile. We asked him questions and he answered just as we expected him to. He didn't provide us with any more information, but his narcissistic attitude was quite clear. He seemed very confident in himself and acted as though we were below him."

"Does this sound like Lou to you?" Agent Thomas asked.

"A bit, yes. I haven't been around him enough to know him well but I have noticed that he seems rather full of himself. Especially since he has the audacity to look at some women like they're a piece of meat," I responded bitterly. Detective Fronteiri took note of that with a nod before leaning in.

"We need to ask a favor of you," she stated in a low voice. "We need inside information, like from someone he trusts."

"Well I don't know anyone from his family. I don't even know if he has family," I replied.

"We need you to become that someone he trusts," Agent Thomas deadpanned. I felt alarmed.

"You could go on dates with him, become his girlfriend, get information. We have extra microphones. They'd fit anywhere," Fronteiri explained, getting right to the point.

"You would be paid, too," Agent Thomas added in. "We figured you'd be our best option because out of every woman in the office, Lou flirts with you the most. He seems to take the most interest in you. That would be easier than sending in some random stranger. Besides, you've had more encounters with him."

"That doesn't sound very easy though," I countered defensively. The two of them chuckled.

"It's not supposed to be. We know it could take a while. You'd probably be dating months upon months before he says anything."

"Can I have overnight to think about it?" I asked timidly.

"Sure, just give us a call when you've made up your mind," Agent Thomas answered.