Back in Miami

Rose Nylund was in the kitchen painting on the island. She dipped her brush into some red paint and glided it onto the canvas. It had been six months since her best friend and roommate Blanche Devereaux had passed away. Rose had a hard time coping with it, Blanche had been her best friend for 25 years. Rose always tried to be optimistic when it came to death, she was certainly no stranger when it came to the topic. Her mom Ingrid died during childbirth, Her husband Charlie Nylund died in 1970 followed by her father Gunther in 1981 and that was even before she had even moved to Miami. Rose moved out to Miami to get away from all the bad memories of St Olaf Minnesota however, when she moved to Miami this wouldn't be her last experience with death. Along the years she lost her friend Sophia Petrillo, Dorothy Zbornak and just a couple months ago it was Blanche Devereaux. Rose always tried to look at it as if it was best for them. They were no longer in pain, no longer suffering and were now free to do whatever they wanted to do on the other side. Rose hummed as she finished the painting and left it on the island to dry. Rose walked over to the countertop and fetched her cup of tea and took a sip, she walked out of the kitchen pushing through the door and went to sit down on the wicker sofa in the living room. Rose was about to read a book when she heard the doorbell ring, she set the book down and went over and opened the door. Standing at the door was a grieving Rebecca Devereaux, Blanche's youngest daughter.

"Oh Hi Rebecca ! How are you doing?" Rose said in her usually optimistic tone.

"Fine" Rebecca said without even looking up.

"Oh Rebecca i'm so sorry about your mother, we all miss her deeply. How are you and Aurora doing?" Rose asked gesturing the young woman in closing the door behind her.

"It's been hard. Aurora is pretty heartbroken over her grandma's death"

"It's been hard for me too, you know that you guys are always welcome here." Rose said offering a warming smile.

" Oh that'll be unnecessary, I'm taking Aurora and moving back to Atlanta."

Rose's eyes darted. "What? You can't move you have a life here in Miami!"

Rebecca draped her coat over the couch and sat down on the wicker sofa.

"Rose, I don't have a reason for me to stay here anymore. My mom is gone and all our family is back home in Georgia, i don't have a reason to stay here." Rebecca flat out said.

Rose was a bit taken aback. She sat down next to the young woman on the sofa. " Look i know it's been really hard for you since your mom passed away, believe me she was my best friend for years but don't you think it's kind of a big step to just move like that? Can we talk about this? Maybe while i make some tea?"

"There's really nothing to talk about. My house has already been sold and i'm currently in the middle of moving stuff back and forth from here to Atlanta." Rebecca said with a bit of a nervous tone.

"I'm going to make some tea i'll be right back" Rose got up and pushed her way through the kitchen door. She filled up a tea kettle and turned on the stove and waited for the oven to heat up. Rose was shocked. Why is Rebecca ready to just pick up and leave? Rose considered her a part of her family, she was best friends with her mom for 25 years so that's reasonable right? As usual Rose looked at it from the optimistic side. All her family is back in Atlanta and she should be around them during these tough times. Rose perked up and grabbed the kettle, she carefully poured in some water into two mugs she then went to the cupboard and grabbed two teabags she teared them open and put one in each mug before setting them on a tray. Rose put her shoulders back and walked back into the den and set the tray down onto the coffee table.

"Hope i wasn't too long." Rose said sitting down next to Rebecca on the couch

"Oh you're fine" Rebecca said trying her hardest to smile.

"So what brought you over here?" Rose asked sipping her tea.

"Oh well i just wanted to grab the rest of my mom's stuff."

"Oh there's some stuff left in the attic do you need any help?"

"No, i'm fine." Rebecca paused. " Rose i need to tell you something"

"What is it?" Rose asked turning to face Rebecca.

Rebecca paused. "I'm selling the house".

Rose paused. "Now i know i'm not the brightest, but didn't you already tell me that?"

Rebecca bluntly said "Rose i'm selling this house, this one the one you're currently living in this was mom's house and it has too many memories."

Rose froze completely. She then laughed and playfully swatted Rebecca's knee. "Oh you're funny! That's something i've always loved that about you."

Rebecca gave Rose a stone cold look, "Rose, I'm serious. I'm giving you a month to move out and find your own place selling this house will help me and Aurora get to Atlanta."

Rose's jaw hit the floor. "What! Wa- But you can't- Where will i live!? You can't do this to me Rebecca!"

Rebecca grabbed Rose's hands. "Rose, I'm sorry to do this to you but i need to do this i'm giving you a month to get your things together and leave. Don't you have any family you can stay with?"

Rose ripped away from Rebecca's grab she stood up in protest almost in tears "You can't do this to me! I don't have anywhere else to go! I'm an old woman i don't have any family left in St Olaf." Rose said now crying heavily

Rebecca kept a stone cold face. "I'm sorry but i need to think about me and my family. We already have some buyers interested in the house."

Rose froze. "Did it ever occur to you that i have memories too?" Rose glared at Rebecca

"I'm sure you do bu-"

"This has been my home for more than two decades i've made memories here too! I was here when i fell in love with Myles, i was here when i got my job at the grief counseling center. This is where i made family!" Rose started shouting. "I had three best friends who i watch die right in front of me in this very home! I've been here longer then you have and now you're going to just throw me out like a animal all because you want to go to Atlanta!?" Rose was virtually screaming.

"Listen Rose Nylund! This was my mother's home and i am her daughter i have a right to do what i want this house is now in my name and i don't care how many memories you've made here i have struggled with this decision for a long time and damn it Rose i'm going to do something for me and MY family for once!" Rose Sat down compile shocked, she felt the wind had been knocked out of her. "Why Rebecca?. Would your mother agree to this?" Rebecca set her cup of tea on the coffee table "Rose Nylund that's hardly any of your business. My mother just died don't you dare try to blackmail me with what she would want. She's my mom i know what she would want." Rebecca stood up and grabbed her jacket. "I think i should be leaving now" She said in a huff. All Rose could do was stand there alone in tears now having to start over once again.