Life support

A/N Just a quick spoiler alert for the later Manga chapters.  So if you dislike spoilers and haven't started reading the latest story arc I suggest you skip this chapter.

'Dear (Y/N), I think Ja'far likes you.  He's always talking about you and I think he is in love. You should love him too. -Masrur'

You read the note and laugh tearfully, thinking back to those days. Back when Masrur was first learning to read and write, instead of his homework, he often wrote whatever came into his mind. This note is one of many gems from those days.  The memories make you happy, but the emptiness you feel now is the cause of the tears that fall gently from your eyes.

You're going through a stack of old papers and drawings from your Sindrian days when you hear someone unlocking the door. You quickly set the papers inside of a worn out box and tuck it under the nearby coffee table. Then you peek at the clock and see that it's two in the morning. Ouch. If Ja'far keeps working this late sooner or later he'll have to take a sick day, although that is something you will have to force him to do.

Ja'far steps into the apartment and then after shutting and locking the door behind him he looks over at you and blinks. He takes in your puffy eyes and immediately looks down to see where you hid the box. He doesn't say anything at first, because reminiscing is too painful and because there isn't much left to say.

"You shouldn't have waited up." He finally says wearily. "I hate to keep you up just because I had to work late."

You just shrug and offer him a smile. "It's okay. I can't sleep well without you there anyway, and besides I'm worried about you." 

In honesty saying you are worried is an understatement; in fact, you have never seen him so depressed. Ever since Sinbad abdicated the throne Ja'far just hasn't been the same man you married,  and seeing him like this is sad. You let the smile fade slightly as you stand up and walk over to him, wrapping your arms around him ever so gently, you lean in for a kiss.

The two of you stay like that a minute, your lips touching softly as you take in each other's scents and delight in the pleasure of each other's company.  Then when he starts to teeter to the side you tighten your grip a bit to steady him and then break off from the kiss.

"Come on." You say softly. "Let's get you into bed."

Taking his hand you lead him into your bedroom and hand him a pair of Pajamas to put on. All this done, he collapses into bed and after flipping off the lights you gladly cuddle up beside him.

"I love you...so much" he says softly, although you can sense a bit of fear in his eyes. He's afraid he'll lose you, he's lost everyone else after all.

Resisting the urge to shake your head at his unspoken fears, you lean closer to him and kiss his forehead softly. "I love you too."

He smiles then, probably for the first time that day, and then shifts around slightly before falling asleep. You smile at him but tears fill your eyes again. You refuse to lose your husband to this tragedy, to this depression that is bearing in on the both of you. With this conviction in your heart you close your eyes and allow sleep to take you, your last thoughts nothing but comforting; you will both pull through, because even if all else has forsaken you, the two of you have a bond forged in destiny. You are the true meaning of family.

A/N Aaaand I've been having a hard day, so sorry if this came out depressing. I wanted to have a bit of a contrast between this and the last chapter, this time you're comforting him, and well I guess he's comforting you too. Anyway, I hope you enjoyed this and then you have a great weekend. Love y'all -Rei