Chapter 1 - Asriel

Asriel gripped the stone tightly. He wasn't prepared for this. How did this happen? Asriel stood behind an ancient pillar and watched the human in the center of the cave. The human lay unmoving on the cold, hard stone floor, illuminated by a dim light from the top of the high cavern.

Were they dead? The room was too dark to tell. Asriel would be able to see the human's soul if they were dead. Maybe, or maybe not; he wasn't clear on the details. Yet, something still needed to be done. Seven were needed...

Asriel unhooked the cylindrical container attached to the chain belt on his long black pants. It was made of glass with the lid and base made of some type of black metal. The container was standard issue to all monsters, and no bigger than a foot in length.

He put one hand on the top and bottom of the device. Both hands clamped down on the rim of the circular metal plates. Asriel twisted the plates and the device unlocked with a click. He just needed to go over, put the soul in the jar, and he would be done.

He started walking out from behind the pillar and toward the human, jar in hand. As he approached he started to notice more and more details. The human, albeit lying down, appeared to be as tall as Asriel; maybe a bit less, probably only a child.

Their hair was short and brown. Scrapes and bruises covered their creamy skin. They wore long, ripped brown pants and a tattered green and yellow shirt.

Asriel now stood over the human. They were not moving. Asriel turned his attention and fiddled with the jar, unsure as to how to proceed. He really should have paid attention more to inner-workings of souls. Then movement caught the corner of Asriel's eye.

The human was alive. They moved, rolling over to face Asriel. He instinctively raised his free hand, a small flame danced in his palm. The human, squinting through swollen red eyes, tried to look at the form now standing over them.

"Please... help..." The human rasped eventually. The royal scientist wasn't needed to see that the human was in no condition to defend them self. It was pathetic. Asriel stared blankly, genuinely not knowing how to react. Humans were supposed to be powerful, how did monsters loose to them in the first place? It didn't matter, the fact still remained that monsters were locked down in this godforsaken hole.

Humans are the enemy. They must be destroyed. Asriel focused and the small spark of a flame blossomed into a fireball larger the size of the human's puny head. The cave walls were bathed in orange. The human started to sweat; from either the heat of the fire, or the realization that their life was about to end, Asriel didn't know, or care.

"P-please don't..." The human whispered, "I... surrender." ...Surrender? Immediate submission. How weak could a person possibly be? Asriel dropped his hand, the magical flame petered out. Through yellow and red eyes, Asriel looked down at the pathetic human with a look of contempt. They weren't even worth the effort. Besides, they could be dealt with later.

"Fine." Asriel spat. He directed his focus to locking the container when the human spoke again.

"What's... your name? I'm Chara." They said in voice that sounded like a dying animal. They were probably the type that would pester Asriel all day. He gave them the gift of mercy and yet it was appetent they needed a lesson in discipline. Asriel clipped the jar onto his chain belt and knelt down beside the human- Chara... or something.

He grabbed their arm with one hand, and with the other hand over Chara's arm, he snapped his fingers. Sparks flew down and landed on exposed skin. Instantly Chara pulled back, sucked in air sharply, and gripped their reddened arm.

"Listen to me," said Asriel in a commanding voice, "If you must know, my name is Asriel Dreemurr. I'm not going to kill you, but I'm not being nice. Since you surrendered, I..." Asriel looked off, trying to find the right word, "...I own you now; you are my prisoner. Now don't talk unless I tell you to." The speech sounded serviceably intimidating, but then again, a flower could probably scare this sorry excuse for a human.