Chapter 9

========================

Derek's POV

========================

I woke up to the annoying sound of my alarm clock I forgot to turn off the night before. I rolled onto my back and looked at my plain white ceiling, thinking. Today is my day off, I should be sleeping all day, but I really want to see Amara to be there when she wakes up. Just thinking about her makes me smile. I like everything about her. Her smile, her laugh, everything.

The events of yesterday made my mind race, I have to tell her about her parents... But yesterday I was really close to kissing her. Just thinking about it made me wish I had. When Mandy walked in, I wanted to scream. I wanted to let out my frustration, but I didn't. I sigh, and roll out of bed, almost falling on my face. I really need to clean my room...

I avoid tripping on some clothe that I had throw on the floor. I make my way to my closet and throw on a white button up with rolled up sleeves, jeans, my grey vans, and favorite beanie. I grab my phone, keys, and wallet off my nightstand, and leave my grey mess of a room. I head down stairs, to the fancy clean lobby, and out the car park. I walk to my black Audi R8 V10, I start to driving towards the hospital.

After about 45 minutes, I finally get into the parking lot. The traffic is horrid in the mornings in Miami. I park my Audi and walk towards the hospital entrance. I walk through the doors to be hit by the familiar stale smell of the hospital. I walk up to the receptionist counter, and there is my good friend, Mike. Mike has auburn hair, that is sticking 'neatly' in every direction, and he has hazel eyes. He isn't a receptionist, he's a nurse but he likes to sit down so he helps at the receptionist counter. So, of course, he's wearing his blue nurse uniform which is the same as mine. He looks up from his paperwork, and gives me a dimpled smile,

"Hey! You can go ahead, D. She's not awake yet, I think." He said, questionably.

I forgot to mention he has a hard time remembering things. He kinda reminds me of Dory from Finding Nemo, except if it's important he will remember.

I laugh at his horrible memory, "Thanks, Mike. I'll see ya later."

I leave the desk and head down the corridor to Amara's room. Her room is one of the only doors that has a window in it. I open the door slightly and poke my head in. The room is bare, practically empty besides the required furniture. There is the bed, nightstand, a end table, and a couple chairs. There are two windows one on each side of the bed, which Amara is sleeping in. The nightstand next to the bed has 'get well' cards on it, probably the ones she was reading. The end table was next to the bathroom door, flowers and 'get well' cards are on it too. I guess she is really popular.

I let the door open more, and lean against the door frame. I look towards Amara, I sigh. I have to tell her everything... I don't know how she is going to react, but she seems like the kind of person who is going to be devastated. I fold my arms across my chest, and look at the floor. I don't want her to go through that pain...

I take off my beanie and run my fingers through my hair, I didn't take my eyes off the floor. Yesterday kept flashing in my mind, I really wanted to kiss her... But now I don't think I will be able to for a while because of what I'm about to tell her.

My thoughts were interrupted by a rustling and creaking, I look up to see Amara stretching and trying to get up. She flipped over to her stomach and lifts her upper body up, only to flop face first into her pillow. A low chuckle escapes my lips, before I could stop it.