PROLOGUE

THE INVENTOR OF duel monsters looked at the slips of fine white paper in his gloved hand, his one good eye carefully reading every single word of each and every line. In his grasp, Maximillion Pegasus held an invite to take part of yet another card game completion. Better yet, he was even given a plus one. Sweeping back his long hair, he chuckled. It had been many a year since he last duelled professionally, let alone recreationally. He had bequeathed his old deck to his youngest of two daughters. The girls were not his biologically, but their parents had been his employees until they met their untimely deaths over in Africa. Ai and Tite had been with him three years when a tomb that his team was investigating suddenly collapsed, killing three people and crippling two others. It was six years before that fateful dig that Pegasus had, rather dramatically and flamboyantly, left the duelling scene.

"Girls," he called, summoning them.

Though he had clearly called out for the girls, his adoptive sons came as well. The six teens found him by a portrait of Ceciela, his deceased lover, with the two folded over pieces of paper. Max calmly told his sons to go back to sleep and they did, except for Yakō Tenma. Perhaps it his inferiority complex that led him to suspect a more than slight favouritism towards the biracial sisters, or maybe he was just curious, but he held back and peeped in on his adoptive father handing the papers to the girls. Their father gave them a quick, "You don't leave the house that much, so take these and go make new friends." Yakō didn't know if he should be jealous or not, considering that Max took him regularly to run errands with him. Gekko would sometimes tag along, but it mostly just Maximillion J. Pegasus and Yakō Tenma that ran said errands.

The decision was made for him when he saw Pegasus lean down and kiss their foreheads.

Jealousy? It was more like envy.