Memories

Could it be...? Is Gray-sama finally going to confess his feelings?Juvia was frozen as she waited for Gray to speak.He opened his mouth to say something, but was stopped by Lyon.

"Juvia, look out!"She whirled around just as one of the baby dragons fired a blast towards her.She froze.Suddenly, a hand landed on her shoulder and shoved her to the ground.She looked up just as the blast intended for her tore through Gray's chest.Her eyes widened in horror as half a dozen more shots ripped through the Ice Mage.He locked eyes with her, neither of them moving. Juvia opened her mouth to scream—

And then Gray was shot through the head.

...

Juvia shot up in bed, a strangled shriek escaping her lips. She shakily wrapped her arms around herself as she began to rock herself back and forth.

"It was just a dream," She told herself. "Just a dream, just a dream," She murmured over and over. A hand lightly grazed her hip and she stiffened. She turned around just as Gray woke up.

"Juvia?" He mumbled, still not fully awake. "What are you doing up?" She didn't answer. Gray sat up and wrapped an arm around her shoulders. "Hey," He turned her face to look at him. "What's wrong?" Without warning, she burst into tears. She buried her face in her hands and began to sob. "Oi, Juvia!" Gray exclaimed, surprised by her sudden outburst. He quickly removed his arm, unsure of what to do next. "Hey, stop crying!" He said a little too harshly. She curled away from him. Gray looked around helplessly. He hesitantly laid a hand on her back as she continued to cry. Suddenly, she flung herself into his arms. Gray let out a shout of surprise as the force shoved the pair of them off the bed. He wrapped his arms around her as they landed on the ground. Their legs were still on the bed, but neither of them noticed. Juvia was still crying (although she had begun to settle down) and Gray was focused on calming down the water mage on his chest. He rubbed her back soothingly as her sobs turned into quiet whimpers. She eventually lifted her head from his chest and looked at him nervously. Then she noticed what position they were in. Her face turned beat red and she scrambled to get up.

"Oh my gosh, are you alright Gray-sama?! Juvia is so sorry!" He sat up and rubbed the back of his head. He was sure he could already feel a bump forming.

"It's fine Juvia," He got up and sat down next to her on the bed. She smiled sheepishly and looked away. They sat there in awkward silence for a few moments.

"Well Juvia is going back to sleep. Goodnight Gray-sama!" She exclaimed. She crawled under the blankets and pulled them up to her chin. Gray sighed.

"Do you really expect me to believe that?" He watched her stiffen. "C'mon, Juvia. What's wrong?" She didn't answer him for a few moments. Eventually he gave up and got back into bed. He laid on his back and stared at the ceiling. He heard Juvia shift around.

"...Juvia had a nightmare," She admitted in a small voice. Gray turned to face her. "It was when the dragons were attacking." Gray moved closer to her, and laid his hand on her upper arm. It was when you...when you..." Her eyes filled with tears again.

"Shhh," He pulled her close and tucked her head under his chin. "I'm right here, okay. It didn't happen."

"But it did!" Juvia shouted. "If Ultear hadn't turned back time, then Gray-sama would be dead, all because of Juvia."

"What are you talking about?"

"Gray-sama almost died and it was all Juvia's fault!" Suddenly the arms around her tightened and pushed her back.

"No."

"What?"

"It's not your fault. It was my choice." He told her firmly. "And I'd do it again if I had the chance."

"But you can't! Juvia won't let you!" She told him. "...Please don't leave Juvia alone." She said quietly. They remained silent, listening to the sound of each other's breathing. Then Gray leaned down and kissed the top of Juvia's head.

"Okay, I won't."

"Promise?" She looked up. He blushed. So cute...He pulled her close so he couldn't see his face.

"Promise." She smiled and reached for her pillow. As soon as she was settled, Gray reached over and laced his fingers through hers. They lay there in silence. "Hey, Juvia?" When he didn't get an answer, he looked over. Juvia was fast asleep, probably exhausted from her earlier outburst. Gray chuckled softly and pressed a soft kiss to their entwined fingers. "Good night, Juvia," He murmured.