Fear

"Run!" Juvia was rooted to the spot as she stared at the monster in front of her in shock. "Juvia, run!" She was snapped out of her trance when a hand clamped around her wrist and pulled her away. She and Gray sprinted through the rubble as the creature roared and gave chase. The sprinted over fallen pillars and ducked under crumbling walls, but the monster managed to keep up with them. Gray ducked behind a corner, temporarily hiding themselves from the monster. "Damn, this thing is fast." He panted, trying to come up with a plan B. The ground shook as the monster approached.

"Juvia and Gray-sama should split up." She suggested quietly.

"No." His voice was firm, but shaky at the same time. "No way in hell."

"But then the one who's not chased can go find help!" He shook his head again. "Does Gray-sama have a better plan?" Gray thought for a moment. When he couldn't come up with anything, he turned and punched the wall in frustration. Juvia jumped slightly. Without missing a beat, he turned and embraced her tightly.

"You be careful. You hear me?" He muttered next to her ear." She nodded, clutching the back of his coat. He pulled back and pulled her in for a kiss. "I'll go back out the way we came. You go the other way. Alright?" She nodded. He gave her one last burning look, before turning his back on her and running. She turned the other way and did the same. As soon as she left the safety of the wall. She heard loud thuds behind her. She knew instantly.

The monster chose her. She was happy yet frightened. She didn't want to die. Not for a very, very, very long time. But it was better than the alternative. She didn't even want to think about what could've happened if it didn't choose her. She kept running as it came closer. She swore she could feel its breath on her back. The monster roared again, and the sheer force behind it knocked her off her feet. She threw her hands out in front of her, but wasn't quick enough. He head slammed into a rock on the ground. The last thing she saw was a blue magic circle behind the beast.

...

She woke up in a very bright room. She squinted as she waited for her eyes to adjust to the change in environment. She groaned softly and raised a hand to touch her forehead. She tried to sit up, but a searing pain in her abdomen prevented her. She lay there on the bed, and stared at the ceiling.

Then the door creaked open. She looked up just as Gray walked in, holding a tray of food. When her saw her looking back at him curiously, his eyes widened and he dropped the tray. Juvia jumped at the loud clatter. Then she was being held tightly.

"You're awake." He murmured as his hand reached around to cup the back of her head. "Thank God you're awake." Both his body and voice were shaking.

"Did we beat it?" She asked softly. He laughed quietly.

"Yeah," He leaned back and rested his forehead against hers. "We beat it." She sighed in relief.

They had done it.