sixty-one

Yesterday, I couldn’t sleep any more, so, after a solid half-hour of tossing and turning, I got up and opened my bedroom window, climbing straight out onto the roof and sitting quietly down on the shingles.  It was the place where Mandy and I used to talk about life, smoking and getting high, pretending like the world wasn’t out to get us, dressed in black stilettos and hurtful stick-on nails.  One day, about a month into our relationship, we were sitting on the roof, consumed by a blanket of humidity, when Mandy cocked her head to the side, and, smiling, asked, “Is that Mr. Sullivan changing?”

           I grinned. 

          “Yeah, I think it is.” 

          Mr. Sullivan was the man who used to live in your house.  He wore suits all the time, and wasn’t much on the eyes, with a belly full of steak and a moustache fit for a pedophile.

        “I’d love to live there,” Mandy said as she took a drag from the joint, smoke filling the air around us. “Then, every night, before I went to bed, I could look out my window and see you.” 

           I chuckled, shaking my head, eyes tingling from the smoke.  “You’re too beautiful for the nightmares hunting this street.”

           She shrugged. “Maybe.”