What I Never Knew I Always Wanted

Emma's POV:
Everyone was having a great time laughing and interacting with one another. After everyone had finished eating the delicious catered meal from none other than Granny's, Regina and I walked up to the massive cake, and together we cut the first slice and put it on a plate before we grabbed a fork and took a bite from the same piece. We walked over to my parents, Neal, Henry an Ava Lynn and gave them each a plate of cake. I walked over to Henry who was still holding his sister. I took her from him,and held her in my arms, her smile only making mine grow even bigger, causing my cheeks to hurt. "Congratulations honey." My mom said happily. "Thanks mom." I say and we continue to talk for a while but after a bit we must have begun to bore Regina as she walked off to do who knows what only to return a few minutes later. "Emma come here, I have a surprise." She says and I look at her confused. I handed Ava to my mom and quickly grabbed her hand and she pulled me to the center of the yard. I "Hey everyone, if I could please have everyone's attention." She yelled. Everyone went silent. "I would like to dedicate this dance to my best friend and now my wife, so here it goes." She finished. I looked at her confused but she just smiled at me. "Don't worry you'll love this." She says as I rest my hands on her waist. She looks at the DJ, I'm guessing to give him the okay to begin the song, and the second it came on, I recognized it and I couldn't help but smile into Regina's chocolate brown eyes.

Yeah, yeah, yeah

Never was the kind to think about dressing in white,
Wasn't waiting on a princess to come riding into my life,
Thought I was happy on my own, till you came and proved me wrong

She sings the lyrics quietly, looking into my eyes as we danced along slowly in the grass.

I finally found, what I never knew I always wanted,
I couldn't see I was blind till my eyes were opened,
I didn't know there was a hole, something missing in my soul
Till you filled it up with your love, yeah

Yeah, yeah,

Never pictured myself singing lullabies,
Sitting in a rocking chair in the middle of the night,
In the quiet, in the dark,
You're stealing every bit of my heart with your mommy's eyes, what a sweet surprise

I notice tears beginning to form I her eyes as I listen to the lyrics and her soft voice singing along.

Now I'm holding what I never knew what I always wanted,
I couldn't see I was blind till my eyes were opened,
I didn't know there was a hole,
Something missing in my soul,
Till you filled it up with your love

Life has a way of showing you just what you need and who you were made to be, yeah

With those words, I closed my eyes, and tears fall from under my eyelashes. She pulls me closer and I rest my head on her shoulder and she continues to sing along.

I finally found what I never knew what I always wanted,
I couldn't see I was blind till my eyes were opened,
I didn't know there was a hole, something missing in my soul
Till you filled it up with your love

Yeah, you filled it up with your love

Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah

Never was the kind to think about dressing in white
Never pictured myself singing lullabies

The song ends, and she gently pulls herself away from me. "This was what I never knew I always wanted. You helped me open up my eyes when I was blind. I never saw my self Standing in a white dress with you in my arms... Waking up in the middle of the night, to Ava crying and staring into her blue/green eyes that make my heart melt the same way her momma's do." Regina says another tear falling onto her cheek. I smile at her. "This is your song baby, our song. This is what I never knew I always wanted too. Neither of us will ever have to feel that hole in our souls again as long as we have each other. I love you Regina." I say before I pull her in closer and capture her lips.

We walk back over to my parents, my mom smiling happily. "That was beautiful." She says and I blush and look at my wife who now had her arm wrapped around my waist. I looked at Henry and Ava Lynn, then back at my parents and my now three year old brother Neal before looking back at my beautiful wife.

That night, I lay in bed looking up at the ceiling.

For the first time in my life, I was glad that I didn't listen to what my mind had told me. I'm glad I took my mothers advice and listened to my heart and went after Regina all those months ago. I closed my eyes and pictured the little family that was sitting at the table in the backyard only a few hours before. For once in my life, I wasn't running away. For once in my life, I had found a place where I belonged. I had found the one who truly understands me, the one who had never given up on me. The one who decided to take an insane chance at love. I had a son, who loved me and without him, I probably wouldn't be where I am today if he hasn't brought me here almost 6 years ago. I had a 6 month old daughter, who, against all normal things, actually ended up to biologically be my daughter. I had a three year old brother who I just adore and I have found my parents. Its still so weird to think that after almost 30 years of trying to find who I really was. Now I've finally found that person, I've finally found my family, and I've finally found a place I can call home. I have found what I never knew I always wanted.

A/N: thank you all so much for reading this story. I hope you guys enjoyed it, I know I enjoyed writing it. By the way, for those of you who are wondering, this song is called What I Never Knew I Always Wanted by Carrie Underwood.❤