Too Close to Home

So it was as bad as we thought. We talked Tim down that night over dinner and a movie and got him to stop beating himself up over the whole deal. Soon he was back to his old self. There were, of course, consequences. Reporters kept coming in – all the time. Newspaper reporters, TV reporters, magazine writers – you name it. They kept coming in to talk to Timmy. Since he wasn't there, they tried to talk to me. They would ask about Tim and then try to slyly fit in questions about me – tried to get a hint if I had abilities too. I just smiled and shook my head, asking them if I seemed like the hero type.

There was a good side to it all, though. It seems Chris had to take a few days off. I guess he was a bit covered in bruises and was too sore to really do anything. As much as I disapproved of Timmy's methods, I can't say I was too upset about a week without Chris in the store; but I was missing my best friend.

But still, the specter of it all hung over our heads. Now that the secret was out about Tim, what would happen? I could see in his face that he was expecting the worse. He didn't always like to admit it, but he knew I was right. Women with abilities were being targeted and that meant Jess. I have to hand it to him, though. He was being very protective, but he still went on his missions. He still went and helped people when she had a vision.

About two weeks later, we were all sitting around the table playing Monopoly (hey...it's a classic) when Jess had a vision and Tim had to go. It was going to be a long trip. Down to Cancun, which is pretty much at the bottom tip of Mexico. We've had to do trips across borders before, so this wasn't a huge deal. It was just...rare.

Jess stayed for another half-hour or so and then decided to go. She said she wanted to stop downtown for a few things. It was about a half-hour later when I had to go. Timmy and I weren't always go neat the same time, but it did happen once in a while. Some days were busier than others – even in the hero business.

We were cleaning up the game when Peg's hand went to her temple. She closed her eyes and started telling me what she saw, in the halted way she always did.

"Downtown...here. Here? Yeah, just downtown on main... by 4th. It's... Oh no! Bill, it's Jess! There are 5 men. They're going to... Bill run! RUN!"

I didn't hesitate – I ran.

I saw Jess's car from about a block away. Then I saw her exit a store. She turned and saw me running to her and her hand, which had been brought up to wave at me stopped mid-wave and she looked around,the concern on her face instantly mirroring mine.

"Jess,come on. Let's go," I said as I grabbed her hand.

"What? What is it?" Jess looked around. "Is it me? Peg saw me?"

"Where you goin' in such a hurry, sweetheart?" Jess and I turned to see5 men – no, they weren't men. They were more like teenagers –walking towards us. The biggest one was talking. "We were just thinking of having you come to our party. Pretty thing like you..."

"Guys,"I said. "How about you just keep going? No one wants trouble here and she's with me." To emphasize this, Jess clung hard to my arm– that, and she was scared. I could feel her trembling.

"Get out of here, old man," the boy sneered. "You don't want any of this." His mates chuckled and started to surround us, a couple of them pulling out knives.

"Ok, really?" I laughed. "This is a bit cliché. Knives and cracking knuckles? Here, my turn now. Leave us alone and no one has to get hurt. Is that the next line?"

"Whatever,man. Whatever you want." He charged at me.

Still holding on to Jess, I kicked the boy in the chest and he flew back 15feet and lay sprawled on the sidewalk. I pushed Jess through the gap I had just created and turned to face the others.

My senses heightened and things seemed to slow down. I wanted to stop this quickly and with minimal injury to them, but I also wanted to make sure they were done hurting people, at least for today.

A tall blonde kid lunged at me with a knife. I turned while grabbing his wrist. The action pulled him towards me and while he was off balance, I struck upwards into his armpit with my free hand, hearing a pop and a scream as his shoulder dislocated. I tossed him towards the big boy I had kicked earlier, who was starting to get up. They both crumpled to the pavement, the big one pinned under the blonde kid.

I quickly turned back, grabbed two of the others, one by each arm, and brought my arms together – knocking them into each other. They fell back, stunned. The last guy came up behind me while I was busy with those two and grabbed me around the neck, trying to put me in a strangle-hold. I grabbed his wrist, twisted his arm around and behind his back and pushed him into the wall of the building we were standing in front of.

This was actually harder than I thought. Winning this fight without causing major injury. Most of the "rescues" I had been on involved machinery or inanimate objects. Very rarely have they involved pitting my strength and speed against a normal person. I didn't know how softly to pull my punches.

The two that had collided came at me again. I looked over towards Jess and saw her backing away from the big boy – their apparent leader –coming at her again. The one who had jumped me from behind was going over to join him. Yep. I had to get this over quickly, and that probably meant a little more pain for these guys. I kicked one of the two in the knee, collapsing him to the ground. At nearly the same time, I spun around and threw my elbow into the jaw of the other one. His eyes glazed over and he was done. I ran over to where Jess was. I pulled the one who had jumped me back by his leather jacket,spun him around and grabbed the front of his jacket with both hands. Then I just tossed him straight into the air, about 15 or 20 feet. He came down and I heard a loud crack as he landed awkwardly on his ankle. He wasn't getting up again.

The last one standing, the leader faced me. He didn't charge. He just stood there, ready for an attack. There was no more confidence in his eyes, or his voice.

"OK man. You win," he said, backing away. "I'm sorry. Just don't do anything. Don't hurt me."

"Just get out of here. Now!" He turned and ran.

I turned to Jess, to see if she was all right. Then it happened. I heard a loud crack. It was a gunshot. My senses went into overdrive again and I saw a man leaning out the window of a building across the street. He was holding a rifle with a scope. I could almost see the bullet. I jumped towards Jess and pushed her away, trying to get myself between her and the shot. But I was nowhere near fast enough. I had just reached her and nudged her out of the way when I heard her cry out. She crumpled in my arms.

Forgetting about the man in the window, I lowered her gently to the ground. I saw that the bullet had entered her chest on the right side, about 6inches down from the shoulder. There was a lot of blood and she was gasping for breath. I was pretty sure it missed her heart, but it was low enough to cause other problems. Not like a clean pass through the shoulder.

"Jess,no. Hold on." I tore off most of my shirt and held it against the wound. With the other hand I reached for my phone and dialed 911. Once the ambulance was on its way I quickly dialed Peg and told her what had happened.

"Bill..." I looked down and saw Jess looking up at me. Blood played at the corner of her mouth.

"It's OK. Help is coming. It's OK, Jess. Come on now, Timmy will throw me across town if something happens to you," I joked, trying to keep things light. "Stay with me. OK?"

Jess nodded and forced a weak grin. I heard the sirens a few blocks away.

"They're almost here," I bent down and kissed her forehead. "Almost here. Jess. Keep looking at me. Look right here." There was a lot of blood. My piece of shirt was soaked in it and Jess was looking pale.

The ambulance rounded a corner two blocks away and I felt Jess twitch. I looked down and her smile faded from her lips. Her eyes closed. "Jess!" She had stopped breathing.

The EMTs arrived and pushed me away. I stood up and stood back, looking up grimly at the window where I had seen the shooter as two strangers tried desperately to save Jess's life.