CHAPTER 4

‘You cannot!’ Madison instructed.

‘Why ever not?’ Sarah exclaimed.  ‘I want to.’

‘Because---. 

Because what?  You want to!  

‘Because what?’  Sarah patiently demanded.  ‘We agreed to inform each other who we liked,’ she whispered.   ‘I know you loathe Mr. Rochester, so what is the problem?  Sarah asked in confusion

‘Viscount Anthony wishes to take you in to supper.’

‘He has not mentioned that to me?’ Sarah refuted.

‘Whilst we were dancing, he mentioned his intention.’

‘But Mr. Rochester’s company is so much more pleasurable, and I have already agreed.’

‘What about Anthony?’ Madison demanded.

‘Madison,’ Sarah sighed impatiently.  ‘I am not cancelling my supper appointment, in favour of somebody who has not invited me.  ‘Besides,’ Sarah giggled happily, ‘I am absolutely looking forward to Mr. Rochester’s companionship.’

‘What delights you so, Lady Sarah?’

‘Mr. Rochester has requested to take supper with me,’ Sarah eagerly related to Anthony.

‘Oh,’ Anthony directed a questioning look at Madison, who shrugged her shoulders helplessly.

‘Would you do me the honour of riding with me tomorrow morning?’ Anthony seeing the need to act with haste extended the invitation to Sarah.

‘I would love to, thank you my lord.  Will you be calling at eleven?’ Sarah smiled happily.

‘I shall call at eleven,’ Anthony agreed.

 ‘Lady Sarah, shall we go in?’ Chadwick offered his arm.  His eyelids were lowered hiding his eyes.  Madison could not tell whether he was gloating or thrilled to be escorting Sarah in to supper.

Madison watched beneath hooded eyelids as Chadwick seated Sarah, then walked to the buffet table.  He piled vegetables, ham, chicken and pastries onto two plates and returned to Sarah.  ‘Would you prefer fruit punch or champagne Lady Sarah?’

‘I think I would love some champagne, Mr. Rochester,’ Sarah smiled happily.

‘Very well, my lady,’ Chadwick strode off gallantly again to the drinks table.

‘May I escort you in my lady?’ Anthony offered.

‘Oh I do regret my lord.  I am promised to Earl Rankin for supper tonight.’  Anthony threw his head back and laughed. 

‘I guess it is not my night tonight,’ he bowed, as Rankin approached to escort Madison into supper.

     "It was a typical gloomy London day.  Unclear sky, dozens of dull grey threatening rain clouds.  A slight drizzle kept the crowds away from Hyde Park, but Madison was oblivious to the weather, or her chamber maid’s reluctance to be dragged out in the cold, inclement weather.   Dressed in a navy blue skirt, matching bonnet and bright yellow shirtwaist, Madison was not perturbed by the dreary weather.   Beth walked a step behind Madison attempting to hold the parasol over Madison’s head, but Madison seemed to favour the drizzle turning her curtain of brown curls into a mop head.  She walked aimlessly around Hyde Park.  She did not see the carriages trying to avoid knocking her down, or the gentlemen on horseback who gazed at the seemingly bedraggled lady with the strikingly attractive face.  Her mind was a muddle of thoughts, none that she wished to assess.   It kept replaying images of the picture of Sarah and Chadwick taking supper.  They seemed to have enjoyed each other’s company.  Chadwick had not seemed to have made any special effort to arouse Sarah’s attention, but then Sarah had admitted to finding the rogue attractive even before last night.  What if he is also attracted to Sarah?  What if he makes an offer for Sarah?